Polyhedral Underground - Wisconsin Gaming Group

Wisconsin Gaming Group - Oshkosh - NE Wisconsin
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:08 am 
Adventure Sage
Adventure Sage

What type of gamer are you?: Computer
This year at GenCon marks the first year that I've actively focused on one particular game (Dark Age), and volunteered at a vendor booth for Cool Mini or Not. It's the fourth year that I have gone, and I can honestly say that GenCon 2014 was the best one yet. Of the games I demo'd, here are the ones that stood out to me the most:

Top Games of GenCon 2014

Image Battle at Kemble's Cascade

This awesome game from publisher Z-Man Games is probably my favorite of the "new" games that I demo'd at GenCon. It is based on the 2-d side scroller arcade games that I used to love as a kid, and they really did a good job with the design. The two brothers who designed the game were at GenCon, but as I didn't buy the game (much to my sorrow) I was not able to get my "signed favorite game" this year. Basically, the game "board" is a series of up to 10 rows of adjustable trays that the cards sit in. These cards form each row of enemies, power ups, etc. that you navigate through as the game plays out. After each round, the last row is removed and moved to the end, and then it is refilled with new cards. Any players (represented by miniature space ships) that are left in the first row are automatically "pushed" into the next row. Throughout the game you upgrade your ship and complete different missions / achievements that award you with victory points (VP). If you so choose, you can even engage the other players in PvP battles to slow down anyone who gets too far ahead on the VP tracker. Eventually the "Boss" row of cards will come out, and you have to work together to defeat the Boss ship before the game is over. Once the Boss cards come out there are no longer any new rows added, so the rows you can move around in become fewer and fewer. Eventually, you are usually down to one or two rows left, so you have to destroy all the Boss before you are pushed into the Boss cards (which kills you automatically). Then VP's are counted up and you can determine who won the game. I would consider this game as "semi-cooperative" as you want to have enough active players helping you fight enemy ships and the Boss, but you still need to try and keep ahead of everyone else in VP to win the game.

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1543 ... es-cascade

Image Legendary Encounters: An Alien DeckBuilding Game

Legendary Encounters is similar to other super-hero themed "Legendary" games by Upper Deck, but with the obvious change to the Aliens theme. The characters, events, etc. in the game are all parts of the various Alien movies. It was completely co-op, which was an interesting twist compared to other player vs. player deck-building games like Dominion or Ascension. Essentially all the players have their own starting character, some generic purchase / fight cards, and you build your deck in a way that will strengthen the team as a whole. For example, in our demo, they encouraged each of the players to focus on one particular card symbol so each person could easily combo off of their own hand. Then, about mid-game they encouraged us to start purchasing "Coordinate" cards that allowed us to assist other players during their turns. At one point we nearly got wiped out, but then we got a good run of Coordinate attacks that won the game for us. Advanced rules for the game include an optional "Traitor" element wherein one player secretly plays against the group (like Shadows Over Camelot). Furthermore, there are enemy Facehugger cards that if they are not killed in time will implant a metamorphosis card into a players deck. When that card is drawn, that player "dies" and becomes an Alien character with a special new Alien deck that they would use against the other players.

http://boardgamegeek.com/image/1961808/ ... lding-game

Image Firefly: Dice Game

While we waited for our Legendary Encounters: Aliens demo to start, we caught a quick demo of the upcoming "Firefly Dice Game" that is also being distributed by Upper Deck. The game plays like a "Press Your Luck" dice rolling game, and the main game mechanic is based on victory points. There is no player interaction really at this point other than competing to get the highest score at the end of the game. We did find it really entertaining that all the actions / events in the game were true to Firefly history. For example, any time you roll a Badger die you have to move one "Supplies" die to his area until you are able to defeat him with one of your own dice. Some interesting combos show up if you learn the right order for spending your dice in turn. For example, you could use a Simon die to move one KO'd character from the KO area to the Cargo Hold, and then use one of your Kailey dice to move that character die from the Cargo Hold back to your active play area. You are rolling all 15 dice at the same time when you start your turn (includes good 7 blue Crew dice, 3 good white Passenger dice, and 5 bad red Enemy dice), so each turn you will have a different setup to work with. None of us made it past the second dice roll on our turns, but the demo guy did say that the game was still in Beta and may have some upcoming changes.

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1631 ... -dice-game

Image Star Wars: Armada

In the same game family as the Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game, this new upcoming miniatures game called "Star Wars: Armada" was insanely popular. After trying to days to catch an open demo, we finally just stood at the table through another demo and snuck in right as those people started to back away from the table. ;) Being more of a Star Trek fan vs. Star Wars, I admit that I wasn't overly interested going into it. The demo was only through one round, but it did give us a good idea of how the game plays out. I was pleasantly surprised at how well the game flowed for each player's turn. Essentially each side controls a number of Capital Ships and fighter squadrons, and after pre-planning some orders for the capital ships each side goes through the turn order of move / attack / command / etc., with the main goal of wiping out the opposing forces. As one would expect, one side plays Imperial ships against the other side who is playing the Rebel ships. Our particular demo consisted of two players on the Imperial side who controlled 8 TIE fighter squadrons and 2 Imperial Star Destroyers vs. the Rebel side who controls 6 Rebel X-wing fighter squadrons and 4 CR90 Corvettes. I can't really explain the movement tool without showing a picture (which I don't even know if that's legal yet online), but suffice to say that it was very unique and fun to use. I'm guessing that most of the crowd around the Star Wars: Armada table were already Star Wars fans, but it seemed like everyone who played it really enjoyed it. I don't know if I liked it better than when I played Leviathans the first time back in 2012, but it was still a game I'd play again if one of my friends brought it to the table. Generally speaking, any game with miniatures on the board will hold my attention. ;)

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1637 ... ars-armada

Image One Night Ultimate Werewolf

I'm sure most gamers, especially those who have attended large conventions like GenCon, are no strangers to the game of Werewolf. Every year I see large groups of players hanging out in a hotel lobby or hallway playing Werewolf. This version of "One Night Ultimate Werewolf" was definitely a little different. In short, it was... short. ;) We played through the entire game in less than 10 minutes. The game starts with each player being dealt a character tile (facedown), which they look at right away so they know how to behave for the game. Everyone then closes their eyes, and an automated smartphone app counts out the hours of night, and wakes up each character / role one at a time. The powers are slightly different from other Werewolf games, but they seemed to work well off each other. The main difference in this version of Werewolf is that the Werewolf never kills a villager. When the werewolf / werewolves wake up, it is only to note who else may be a werewolf and therefore on their team. Once the "night" has passed, everyone opens their eyes. The players then discuss who they are and try to assist the group by pointing out which identities that they discovered while they were "awakened" during the night. Of course, there is the obvious potential that they are lying about what they say. One of the other twists in this game is that two or three of the roles actually will switch their roles with other players or the inactive pool in the middle of the table. Since some roles may have been switched, it is very possible that the role a player believes they are following may actually be someone else entirely. In the end, the players do their best to agree on who they think each person is by laying a round character token next to each person as they "figure it out". Then, the role cards all flip over and you get to see who wins. If the group was right and picked the right werewolf / werewolves, the villagers win. If the werewolves escape notice, they win. Lastly, if the "Tanner" character is chosen as a werewolf and "killed" he wins the game. Again, this is yet another twist to the game as the Tanner will argue in a way to make people think he is a werewolf, because he actually wants to die (and thus win the game). All in all, the system makes the game fun, and after one round the game is officially done (hence the name "One Night"). http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1479 ... e-werewolf

Image Dungeons & Dragons: Attack Wing

D&D Attack Wing was a lot of fun. It played similar to the Star Wars Armada game, but with Dragons instead. ;) I actually think I liked this one a little bit more, simply because of the theme and how much faster the gameplay was. Since this game is designed to play in a half-hour or less; there was far less down time in between my turns. Aaron actually got to meet the designer of the game while I was elsewhere on Sunday, so that's always cool. The game is set up where each player controls a dragon that has unique abilities, strengths, and weaknesses. Your goal is to take down the other players' dragons. This sounds simple enough, but there was a lot of underlying strategy built into the game that made it a bit more interesting. For example, each dragon had a powerful breath weapon that they could only use once every 3-5 rounds. This encouraged players to really think about their turn and plan out moves several turns in advance. Every time I saw a player just charge in and throw everything they had at one enemy, they got annihilated. The more cunning and tactical players definitely stood out.

http://boardgamegeek.com/image/1964836/ ... tarter-set

Image Dark Age

There really is no way that I can conclude this "top games of GenCon 2014" section without mentioning my current favorite game - Dark Age. Dark Age is a skirmish war game that uses miniatures. It has been developed as a faster-playing war game where the gameplay emphasizes the "fun factor" moreso than some of the other more math-intensive games like Warhammer 40k and Warmachine. The Dark Age official site describes it as a "gritty, D20 driven, post-apocalyptic skirmish miniatures game for your tabletop". The scaling system of the game allows you to play smaller and faster games if you wish, or larger more complex games if you have more time. When we play the average tournament sized army, we can finish a game usually in less than 2 hours. There have been times when we've played smaller games in less than 30 minutes and it was just as enjoyable. Dark Age can be played as a straight "kill your enemy" miniatures game, but it really shines when you include objective-based gameplay rules. This year at GenCon they released a new Secondary Objectives deck of cards that really amped up the strategy and excitement of the game.

The game originally released back in 2002, but over time it dropped in popularity compared to the juggernaut companies like Games Workshop and Privateer Press (i.e. Warhammer 40k and Warmachine respectively). Over the last few years however it has made a major resurgence, and year after year it has become more popular. At least with my local Appleton group of gamer friends, I couldn't get them to buy into Warmachine that I had been playing for a couple of years due to initial cost and "rulebook shock". ;) Jim (Boathouselooper) and Ian (GuardTroll) were the only other Warmachine players I knew, but I don't get down to Oshkosh very often to play. My Warmachine models were just sitting on a shelf and collecting dust. Back at GenCon 2012 our Appleton group demo'd every miniatures game that we could find to hopefully get one that we all would enjoy and play consistently. When we stopped at the Dark Age booth and played through a demo we were blown away, and it's the only miniatures war game that we've played since. Dark Age really shines at being "easy to learn, hard to master", and we've got the rules down to the point where we can teach a new player how to play the game in less than 15 minutes. Aaron and I also joined "The Legion" (the volunteer arm of CMON), and we now run official Dark Age demos at various gaming stores in Northeast Wisconsin. One other aspect that many people find interesting is that the Core Rule Book, gameplay templates, faction documents, and all model cards for the game are available for free downloads as PDF files from the official Dark Age website (http://www.dark-age.com).

The background for the game has a post-apocalyptic setting, and the storyline has been very well done. If you're interested in the backstory, you can find a majority of the storyline at: http://dark-age.com/content.php?25-The-setting. There are currently 7 playable factions in Dark Age, and many of those factions have several unique subfactions to provide variety in the models and playing style that accompanies them. At GenCon 2014 they just revealed their newest Forsaken sub-faction called "The Prevailers". The storyline writers and model sculptors have really outdone themselves this time, and the Prevailer models were flying off the shelves every day at GenCon. If you are interested in the art style of games, you may also find it interesting that the famous artist Brom has been heavily involved with Dark Age since its inception. Brom is even listed as one of the main artists in the most recent Dark Age faction book called "Fanaticism"; so he is still involved with Dark Age after all these years.

I could talk your ear off for hours about Dark Age, so if you have any questions about it please don't hesitate to ask. ;)
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/13936/dark-age

Other Notable GenCon 2014 Games

There were a number of very popular games at GenCon 2014 that we were never able to get a demo of. They were so popular that you had to wait 15+ minutes even to get a chance at playing a demo, and some even had crowds of people surrounding them (preventing a casual player from dropping by to demo the game). In no particular order, here are the names of the games I would recommend simply by how popular their demos were:

All in all this was a really fun year at GenCon. Aaron (Never Knows Best) and I got to Indy around 9:30am on Wednesday and spent most of the day helping CMON set up their booth in the Exhibit hall. And by "booth", I mean their massive 100 ft. x 50 ft. section that held demos for Dark Age, Kaosball, XenoShyft, Zombicide, Rivet Wars, B-SIeged, and Arcadia Quest. They also had Sedition Wars and Wrath of Kings information, but they did not have a demo at our main booth. Sedition wars had demos running in the event hall though. I was also very interested in a demo of Wrath of Kings, the next big CMON Miniatures game, but alas it was not ready for demo yet this year.

Thursday, Aaron and I ran demos of Dark Age for a good portion of the day, and I spent some time in the GenCon Auction Hall in hopes of getting some good deals. I saw some interesting out-of-print games, but nothing that caught my eye enough to bid on. Later that night we met up with a bunch of the other Dark Age players that we had been talking to on the Dark Age forums. We got to meet several of the past Immortals tournament winners (i.e. Hoj, Jon Woe, Jon Carter), and just kicked back and talk Dark Age all night. A few games were played, rules were hashed out, and googly eyes were discussed far more than they should have been. ;) Sounds lame I know, but the googly eye thing is an inside joke for Dark Age players. See this thread for explanation: http://dark-age.com/showthread.php?10204-Cal-s-models.

Friday and Saturday were our "Exhibit Hall" days. We spent as much time as possible checking out the games we were interested in, and getting in demos wherever we could. Friday night both Aaron and I played in the biggest Dark Age tournament of the year, called "March to Immortality" (a.k.a. "Immortals tournament"). The awesome part about Immortals is that whoever wins the tournament gets to make a model of themselves that gets put into the game for whatever faction they want. Aaron went 1-1 for the opening rounds, and I went 2-0. At that point some players dropped out and the CMON employee running the tournament ran the numbers to see what would happen next. When they determined that anyone with a loss had no chance of winning anymore, they let us know what anyone who was not undefeated would be dropped from contention. That left only two rounds left in the tournament, and I got paired up against the one guy I wanted to avoid the most - Jon Carter and his Kukulkani. It was a good game, and I might have been able to squeak out a win if we had time to go another round or two, but when the end of the round was called he beat me 11-7. When they finished the tournament, Jon Carter won the final match. This marks his second Immortals win thus far, and I have no regrets on losing to him. He was really a great player, and his attitude was remarkably humble for the only guy to go undefeated at Immortals 2014.

Plus, since they final round of the tournament was moved to Saturday night at 8:00pm, I was free to play in my now favorite GenCon event of all time - the Siege of Fort Retribution. While this event is slightly outside the official storyline for Dark Age, it quickly became apparent that the event was designed to maximize the enjoyment of the players who signed up for it. The event was run by a CMON employee who goes by the name "Mr. Black". Incidentally, Mr. Black is also the main guy in charge of Dark Age rules / tournaments / etc. for CMON... Suffice to say that the guy knows how to play the game well. ;) The event is set up where Mr. Black has a Heretic faction army under the command of the character Saint Johann. There is a massive wall that spans the entire playing area (something like 10 ft long or so), and Saint Johann's forces control the wall. This year we had 6 players who were facing Mr. Black's many many Heretic models, and it was an incredible battle. Since Dark Age is really designed to be a skirmish war game with smaller forces, the scaling was insane. At several points in the battle we got assaulted by 20+ models that suddenly showed up on the battlefield in one big group. Even though our group eventually failed to "win" the battle, we knew about 10 minutes into the battle that winning or losing really had nothing to do with why this event exists. Mr. Black played it masterfully well, and we were having so much fun during the event that we could really have cared less if we lost. I can't go into any more details without ruining the fun of this event for anyone else who plays this event in future years. All I can say is that I will be pre-ordering an event ticket for Siege of Retribution every year that I attend GenCon going forward.

On Sunday I spent most of the day running demos at the CMON booth again, and Aaron went off solo to check out some other booths and game demos that we hadn't gotten to yet. After the Exhibit Hall closed at 4:00pm we helped CMON tear down the booth and load everything that was left into their trucks. It was also fun to be in the Exhibit Hall as vendors closed down their booths, and some decided there was things they didn't want to re-pack and take back with them. For example, one of the vendors near the CMON booth ended up giving away a bunch We headed back to our hotel afterwards, crashed, and then drove back home to next day.

Like I said before, this year was very different from previous years where we spent a ton of money buying games and were burned out by Sunday. We stayed two extra days than normal, spent less money, and came home with more stuff than other years anyway. Plus, we got to hang out with some of the more "high profile" Dark Age players, and met a lot of the CMON guys who run Dark Age and the volunteer arm of CMON that we are part of (The Legion). We probably spent the most time hanging out with Mr. Black as previously mentioned, and Oz (Derek Osborne) who is the Director of Sales for CMON. The owner of CMON (David Doust) was there as well, but while Aaron got to meet him I didn't get the chance. We're hoping for another solid year of GenCon in 2015.

Ok, wall of text is done now... ;) All of the pictures that I took at GenCon 2014 are available at: http://theelric42.tumblr.com/. Thanks for reading!

"If you don't like something, hit it.
:boxing:
If it hits back, shoot it.
:leftfighter4: :halfrobot:
If it's still moving - RUN."

:eeeeek: => :transformer:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:56 am 
Average Gamer
Average Gamer

Game Collection: http://tinyurl.com/m5jw5rk
Cool review. You played a lot more "hot new games" than Sarah and I did.

Kemble's Cascade was definitely one that tempted my wallet. The CONCEPT is unabashedly cool, I just wasn't sure how "fiddly" the game would be so didn't pull the trigger on that one. Golem Arcana was another game that was conceptually awesome (and gorgeous) and I LOVE the Harebrained Schemes guys for what they did with Shadowrun Returns, but after demoing the game twice, I came to pretty much the same conclusion as I thought I would (again, too fiddly, and like every other miniatures game too rich for my blood for one game).

I wish I had gotten a really good feel for Abyss because it was so hyped, but I still don't have a good feel for it yet. I really, really wanted Tragedy Looper but they were sold out.

I hadn't really planned on doing a GenCon write-up because it was our first and it was pretty overwhelming, but all in all it was a pretty spectacular experience. We got there on Tuesday, Sarah attended some teacher-y seminars on Wednesday. We played Touch of Evil WITH ALL EXPANSIONS that night and while it was looooooong, we had a lot of fun and Sarah really liked the game (enough that I snatched a copy from consignment shop for her).

Speaking of consignment shop, those are my two new favorite words. As much as I wanted to take advantage of the auction room, it requires too much time to sit in there and do none of the other fun stuff. But I took GT's advice and hit up the consignment shop early, scouted it out, snatched up several AWESOME deals on Thursday before it got picked clean. (Friday it had nothing of interest, but we found a couple more really cheap lesser finds on Sat).

We had early access to the Exhibit Hall on Thursday and did our major run-through then, but hit it up pretty much every day to some extent. I had prepared for the crowds and they weren't nearly as bad as they were made out to be. What wound up killing me was my Wal-Mart Anxiety Disorder. It wasn't so much the people as the overwhelming SIZE of the place. I kept getting disoriented and turned around and it took two days before I could go in there and calmly find what I was hunting for.

Sarah actually managed to demo more games than I did so she'd have to talk about the ones I missed. Kingsport Festival seemed like a pretty cool step up from Kingsburg. TBH though, I don't feel any great need to get games hot off the presses as I already have a huge wishlist of older games so I didn't really go out of my way to demo things. I'll wait for playthrough videos and reviews to come in for the most part.

Other Exhibit Hall Impressions:

1. Doomtown Reloaded is probably the new release purchase I'm most stoked about
2. Sheriff of Nottingham - I'm very pleased with the success of the game. I've wanted Hart an der Grenze for awhile and haven't gotten it and the components and visual style of the later Robin Hood didn't appeal to me. Sheriff is a pretty gorgeous reproduction of the game. That said, I have to complain about the snap clasp baggies. They're pretty, but the clasps on 3 or 4 of my bags are SO DANG TIGHT that and the fabric of the closing flap so thin that I'm terrified I'm gonna tear it trying to open them, so now I'm just not gonna use the snaps :-(
3. While Fantasy Flight was the uncontested winner of the con in news hype, Asmodee's line of new releases certainly made a splash. Between Abyss, Xidit, and Cash n Guns 2.0 plus all their other stuff they were definitely moving a lot of product.
4. I don't know for sure what the best selling game of the con was, but I saw more copies of Dead of Winter in people's hands, bags, and on tables than any other game. I had my copy before the con though!
5. The guys at C&C were pretty cool. Gave Sarah a free copy of Carcasssonne dice game for wading through the crowd to get something off the shelf while I was buying else.
6. Shadowrun Crossfire looks cool, but I'm already a huge fan of the Shadowrun TCG and I'm not convinced I'd prefer this over it even though it's co-op. Definitely seems like a solid buy for folks that don't have a TCG collection like my buddy and I built though.
7. The Death Trap of the Exhibit Hall was probably the CMON booth though! I don't know how much product they moved, but it was just a morass of people every time I saw it. I only tried to actually view stuff at the booth once...with little success. They should get a bigger space next year! Was it always that bad Elric or did I just keep going by at the wrong time?
8. Apparently Five Tribes is AMAZING. I'm gonna have to play it to believe it though. Still looks boring.
9. Had several games I kickstarted in attendance. Shadows of Brimstone seemed to be a huge success. I'm still disappointed I'm going to have to assemble minis, but dang that game looks gorgeous. Incredible Expeditions had great hype and demos but unfortunately all their product got stuck in customs (we were supposed to pick up our copy...boo). Thrash-Car was there in small supply. My copy is about to be shipped though. And while not in the exhibit hall, Dream Heist was in the playtest room and seemed to be getting positive feedback.
10. Mayfair had some plush carpet, yo! I visited them just to make my screamin' feet feel better.
11. Pathfinder: Adventure Card Game - Skull & Shackles also made a pretty big splash as well. I'm definitely getting it because I love Rise of the Runelords, but as we still have to finish the first, I was in no rush to fight through the crowds to get the new set. Paizo pretty consistently had lines out the door. Honestly was a bit surprised.
12. Miniatures may be too rich for my blood, but holy moly the displays for Malifaux were breathtaking.
13. Stronghold Games also needed a bigger booth AND more stock. They got freakin' cleaned out. I was hoping to get a copy of the US release of Among the Stars, but alas, did not.
14. Tasty Minstrel are good people. Gave Sarah a bunch of microgames when she told them about her game club at school.
15. Z-Man had my personal favorite combination of games for purchase, games for preview, and game news. Bummed I missed out on Tragedy Looper, but all the upcoming Pandemic stuff has me excited.
16. Antoine Bauza was at the Fun Forge booth 3 days of the con and I missed him every time :-( Woulda had him sign my copy of Samurai Spirit. Before that game we owned 6 of his and we love them all.

Sarah dressed up as a nun for Nuns on the Run and wound up playing the prioress/abbess. It was fun.
We were supposed to play the Amberden Affair but the Admagic people were kind of rude/disinterested so we walked on that.

To be honest though, the coolest thing gamewise about the convention was 5 games we played from a 1 man company called JoeMagic. He makes his games in his basement and while there is a very clear line between his component quality and a professional publisher's, his work is pretty nice quality. We signed up for 5 of the 9 games he hosted. I had a very strange swing in opinion from the time I got tickets to the time we actually played the games. Originally I signed up because the winner of the games received a copy and I was like "hey, free game!" Then when I began browsing the internet for info on his games I was getting back pictures that weren't exactly enticing. Turns out the majority of those were early prototype pics though because most of what we played had improved drastically from what I had seen. But the games themselves! MAN they were good. From a strange combination of superhero theme and euro/worker placement to this insanely brain-burning space colonization game that was actually more of an abstract puzzle. I actually won a copy of the one that wound up being my personal favorite, Demise of Dr. Frankenstein which is sorta like Kingsburg but with a shared dicepool and a LOT of medium-heavy resource management/manipulation and multiple paths to take in terms of point acquiring. Sarah's favorite (which I really liked too) was called Misty Ruins. He says he'll probably never try to publish that one in any major fashion because it's so wildly impractical both in cost (lots of cards) and gameplay, but MAN was it fun. So much fun that we're probably going to buy a copy despite the rather exorbitant shipping the company that handles his distribution charges. He and his wife were really cool and the man's game design brain clearly works a mile a minute. His games are just STUFFED with ideas. Some might argue too many ideas. If a real publisher ever got a hold of his stuff, they'd probably streamline it a bit. But I admire the work he's done all on his own. He's going to send us a copy of his new game Giant and I might offer to help him with his next Kickstarter page (probably for that game) when he does it, because his previous kickstarter pitches have left something to be desired. I actually found one of his games we DIDN'T play in consignment and I snatched it up cheap. Know nothing about it, but that's how much I enjoyed what we saw of his work.

Anyways, enough blabbing. Gotta run.

HERE'S THE GENCON HAUL!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:24 am 
Adventure Sage
Adventure Sage

What type of gamer are you?: Computer
Wow, nice haul there!

I forgot about Sheriff of Nottingham on my post, but we did play through a demo of that. It seemed pretty good, but I'd have to play it a few more times before I could say if I liked it. I'm still on the fence as it seemed unfair for players who may not have the "skill" of bluffing while keeping a straight face. ;)

I will have to check out the JoeMagic games you mentioned, as we didn't run by those at all.

The CMON booth was insanely busy, so you are dead on with your observations there. Aaron and I wanted to demo a few of the more popular games like Kaosball and Arcadia Quest, but the tables were crowded with waiting people so we never got the chance. We picked up Zombicide a couple years ago at GenCon 2012, so we already know that we loved that game. It will be interesting to see what happens next year. They could definitely use more space! Especially if they continue to come out with new popular games for 2015, they are not going to fit it all in the row they used this year.

Regarding the Consignment Store / Auction Hall, you are right that you can get some amazing deals there. What I've been doing the last couple of years is picking up a bidding card for $1, and then listening to the auctions while I browse through the store. I didn't get any really good deals on the day I went through the store this year. I did try selling items through the auction this year, and unfortunately I have to say that I will never never never do so again. I lost so much time messing with the auction hall employees, and between the attitude of the woman I had to deal with and the time I was stuck in line vs. exploring the Exhibit Hall - I was so stressed out it wasn't worth it. Yeah, never again.

"If you don't like something, hit it.
:boxing:
If it hits back, shoot it.
:leftfighter4: :halfrobot:
If it's still moving - RUN."

:eeeeek: => :transformer:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:20 am 
Polyhedral Underground Master
Polyhedral Underground Master

Awesome posts! Thank you!