Wisconsin Gaming Group - Oshkosh - NE Wisconsin
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Nexus Game Fair
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:11 pm 
Gaming God
Gaming God

Hey gang,

So yeah, it me again. Running the board game room at another con, again. I'm sure some of you are sick of hearing about it by now....

None the less, I am here with a personal appeal to my favorite personal gaming group comprised of my long-time friends (high-school in some case). You are all aware of The Milwaukee Company of Gamers and we've discussed it plenty at many a function. Yes its my personal group. Yes its fairly megalomaniacal and bombastic for such an introverted hobby. Yes I am not a typical gamer personality. Lots of you have asked why I do what I do in the course of discussions and even implied that I am bat-shit crazy for doing it.

Thru MilCoG I attempt to make the world a better place. On the surface it appears to be just gaming but behind the curtain its far more than that. I'll sum it up by saying its my way of painting my corner of the world and paying back or (and/or paying it forward if you prefer). Its practical for anyone to help create the change they want to see in the world s this is what I do. As some know, I've done lots of crazy things in the past with this line of thinking but lately I've had to come to grips with the fact that gaming is really where it lies for me, and that will have to be good enough. I assume the fervor with which I run MilCoG is at least obnoxious to some of you but now you know its not shameless self-promotion. Well, it IS, but that's not the end goal.

For years I've seen this group as a whole support other existing events en-mass through self-organization and with much spirit, making me wonder why I can get hundreds of strangers to come to my events but not my friends. My events are the same distance to other events well supported by this group and at least as well organized and honestly I think most have offered better services to attendees. I had to consider what the difference was and all I can come up with is "me".

I know I'm too much for many of you. I know MilCoG is too much for many of you. I think that gets in the way of people I consider friends supporting me. Its like I have to trade getting support from friends for support from strangers it seems. All the bombastic promotion is what it takes to get the attention of strangers but it seems that is the same stuff that is likely to make those closer to me just be annoyed with me. I am sorry for that and having to do what I do.

So with that I am here, hat in hand, making a person plea to all those considering me a friend to attend Nexus Game Fair. Its maybe sorta MilCoGs final official stab at being "legit". As everyone here is aware (some painfully) I've done lots of gaming event thingys in the past. I'd like to own up that this one I am personally involved in, not just supporting. So I am personally asking for your support for this venture. It would mean a lot.

I'd like you to consider setting aside whatever it is that keeps you from supporting all the ventures I supported in the past and consider supporting this one I have a personal stake in.

Nexus Game Fair is June 19th-22nd at the Clarion in, yes, Milwaukee. (Its the same distance to Manitowoc and Green Bay, btw.) There is a room block for cheaper for early registration. I can offer a discount code for a while to anyone wanting to preregister.

FYI - one reason I decided to open my closet is that I consider this to be a very legit effort to return a regional size con to the summer in Wisconsin. Staff member Harold Johnson used to the be the manager of this company called TSR - you may have heard of it. He also was the director for another competing con oin Milwaukee called Gen Con - you may have heard of that as well. I am the Board Games Coordinator for the con and my group is providing game library services and all the stuff we usually do. I think its going to be a fantastic event and hope you consider coming and supporting it. As always I am looking for volunteers to help and we are willing to work with PU if they want to do something organized there. Heath is on MilCoG staff as always but he is a great multi-tasker so I am sure he can handle whatever you can think of. I am sure we'll be promoting NEWGame during the con as well.

Oh. This reminds me - I'd like to take a sec to thank all those who have supported any of my crazy involvements over the years by attending those endeavors! Your support and friendship means a lot.

If you want a substantial discount, let me know ASAP. If you can help out, let me know that too.

http://www.nexusgamefair.com

Thanks guys

Post subject: Re: Nexus Game Fair
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:56 pm 
Polyhedral Underground Master

What type of gamer are you?: Card
You can count on me being there, buddy. I'll help out in whatever way I can. Just let me know what you need!

Robert: Um, Robert Unwin
Simon: And what do you do?
Robert: I work at a chicken factory.
<Silence>
Simon: .....Good....

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:56 am 

Location: Stuck in the mud at the Rocketville paintball field.
What type of gamer are you?: RPG
... AND MY AXE!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:02 pm 
Game Master
Game Master

I dunno, big con within bicycle distance? Seems too easy...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:49 pm 
Gaming God
Gaming God

https://www.facebook.com/nexusgamefair

Mostly complete event grid posted