Wisconsin Gaming Group - Oshkosh - NE Wisconsin
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: GenCon 2014
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:50 pm 
Fierce Competitor
Fierce Competitor

Game Collection: http://adventgeekgirl.blogspot.com/p/bl ... _5912.html
We're trying to make sure we prepare ourselves for GenCon this year and I think tickets and housing stuff open on January 28. Does anyone have recommendations for staying? They have this "housing" thing. What is it and is it worth it? I did find a hotel and can get a shuttle pass from that hotel for a reasonable price.

Any help or recommendations for a first-timer. . . totally welcome. ;-)

Post subject: Re: GenCon 2014
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:37 am 
Polyhedral Underground Master

Location: Stuck in the mud at the Rocketville paintball field.
What type of gamer are you?: RPG
Boathouselooper and Seripmav will be the guys to talk to. They go most every year, and always have the good info.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:35 am 

What type of gamer are you?: Card
I guess it depends on what you prefer. For me, I want a hotel connected to the convention center so I can valet park my car and forget about it. I'm sort of particular about my vehicle, though, and I don't like parking it in a general lot where it can get dinged up. I also hate traffic, so driving back and forth to the convention center is stressful. On top of that, if I am trading games or purchasing items I don't want to carry them around so I want to be able to walk to my hotel, pick up or unload, and head back to the convention center. But again, that's just me.

So - I am online at the time housing opens and I race to get a hotel that is connected. Last year they sold out in a matter of minutes. Literally. If you don't care about being connected to the convention center you can take your time and pick one up whenever, but you do get a bit of a discount by using the housing block that they set up. Also, the closer to downtown the more expensive the room, so there is that to consider as well.

Basically it is a price / convenience thing. Wherever that line intersects is what you should shoot for. I hope this helps!

Robert: Um, Robert Unwin
Simon: And what do you do?
Robert: I work at a chicken factory.
<Silence>
Simon: .....Good....

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:06 am 

Location: Stuck in the mud at the Rocketville paintball field.
What type of gamer are you?: RPG
I told you he was the guy in the know.

=D>

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:04 pm 
Fierce Competitor
Fierce Competitor

So essentially the housing offered by GenCon is the way to go. . . hmmm... I'll try that out before I book with a hotel with a shuttle. Are the rooms for the whole thing (the 14-17) or different days? Are the room rates in the $100 range of the $200+ range?

I had originally just suggested going to OldMan and then it dawned on me (after a meeting with my principal) that I should really be going to help with my PDP and PPG and SLOs and all those whatnottins. So it's an absolute must now. haha!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:56 pm 

What type of gamer are you?: Card
You can choose the dates you want to reserve the room so it doesn't have to be the whole convention. As for rates, that also depends on the hotel name and accommodations. Figure about $130 per night on average, then adjust for location and accommodations. I don't remember what I've paid in the past but I've stayed at the Crowne Plaza and the giant blue monolith whose name escapes me and they were both awesome.

Robert: Um, Robert Unwin
Simon: And what do you do?
Robert: I work at a chicken factory.
<Silence>
Simon: .....Good....

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:22 am 

Though, cheap bastards like me get rooms off-network, and use a parked car for the storage of swag and plunder.

That is when I am not volunteering, living, breathing, at the game auction. So I am a freak, and therefore do not count.

On that note, I am planning to attend again this year. Still not sure if I will be doing the auction volunteer thing this year.

...what's with that?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:54 am 

I’m the same as BHL. I like to book a connected hotel so that I can go back to my room anytime I want. It is noticeably more expensive (I want to say closer to $180 a night + tax + city fees). Then again, crowds tend to overwhelm me after a while, and I like to have a place nearby to regroup/plan/freshen up.

If you end up going through GenCon, you will need to evaluate the different hotels in their block and plan out the top 4 or 5 you want. Then, as soon as it opens, log in and try to book. I’ve taken off work to be online and ready right when they open. They can go really fast, but, not all of them fill up immediately. And some that are off site fill up faster than more expensive connected ones (that’s why you need your several choices ready to go).

If your days are planned out well, I think that the shuttle idea sounds like a good one. I’m too much of a baby to try to find parking every day.

Unsure if I’m going yet. My oldest son is going with some of his friends, but we already have a family trip planned so I don’t know if I can swing it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:38 pm 
Fierce Competitor
Fierce Competitor

We used to be hardcore Film Festival Press. We'd commute about an hour every day for 4 days. We were the only press to stay at one our festivals from the very first screening of the day (around 9 or 10AM) until the last one got out, around 1AM or 2AM. We were pretty good at finding a corner to hide in to relax, but I have a feeling this is much more jam-packed and constant noise. Like. . . Wal-Mart on a Saturday at noon x10.

I know I found an off-site place for $350 for the whole weekend (arriving Thursday, leaving Monday morning, with a pool and fridge and microwave). And then the shuttle pass. So we're look at about $450, then the passes and spending money.

How is parking onsite? Really hard? Expensive? I can't tell you how super psyched I am about this!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:57 am 
Adventure Sage
Adventure Sage

What type of gamer are you?: Computer
Last time our Appleton group went to GenCon (2012) we stayed at a hotel a couple blocks away from the convention center (walking distance easily). It ended up being $175 for the room and $27 for valet parking each night. Also, keep in mind that the prices they list for the hotels do not generally include the sales tax and occupancy tax - that will add another $25-30 per night.

If you're thinking of a hotel that is connected to the convention center (immediate area) - you're looking at probably $195 per night with $30 valet parking (before taxes).

EDIT: I just looked it up, and they have the full area hotel pricing up on Gencon's site now: http://www.gencon.com/attend/hotelamenities

"If you don't like something, hit it.
:boxing:
If it hits back, shoot it.
:leftfighter4: :halfrobot:
If it's still moving - RUN."

:eeeeek: => :transformer:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:47 pm 
Fierce Competitor
Fierce Competitor

Any advice about Volunteering? Or. . . what is it like? Is it worth it in the end or is it just exhausting and time-consuming?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:47 pm 

There are many jobs for volunteering, so I suppose it depends on your mindset and what you enjoy. I only volunteer for the auction house because I would spend so much free time there anyway. It is the only way to actually view the items before they come up for auction, so that was a huge bonus for me.

At least half of the other volunteer jobs have to do with either sales (badges or otherwise) or baby-sitting (like an badge checker or room guard of some sort). The workload is not too bad if you want to just get a free badge, but it gets pretty exhausting if you want a free bed too (part-time vs. full-time work). So I would recommend it if you really enjoy the job that you are offered, but not if you hate that kind of work.

On a side note, I am planning to drive to Indy Friday after work and comeback Sunday night like last year. So no volunteering for me, but a cheap date without using any vacation time. A short drive to boot, compared to my usual fare these days.

...what's with that?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:38 pm 
Fierce Competitor
Fierce Competitor

Woo! We got our passes. Going Thursday and coming home that Monday morning. A nice little vacation. The place we got has an indoor pool and a fridge! But, um. . . we're on the green line for the bus. Still a cheap hotel and a shuttle and we're going!!! EXCITEMENT!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:02 pm 
Average Gamer
Average Gamer

Game Collection: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/collection ... songambit1
I'd like to go, but only if someone is willing to share in the travel / hotel expenses. So if someone is going and has a hotel booked(preferably onsite), I'd be more than happy to go with and pay my part. Just send me a PM and we can work out the details.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 8:16 am 
Fierce Competitor
Fierce Competitor

Registration is today! I was very excited to see that Wednesday is pretty much completely dedicated to teachers and gaming in schools! W000T!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:23 am 
Adventure Sage
Adventure Sage

So, NKB and I are confirmed that we are going to GenCon this year after all. NKB got us a sweet hotel setup at the Mariott, right across the street from the convention center. We plan on heading down to Indy on Wednesday and staying until the following Monday. In previous years we've always gone down on Thursday afternoon / evening and left Sunday morning, but with the hotel reservation we have the room for 5 nights. With everything else we have planned, we might as well stay all 6 days and enjoy the convention. ;)

NKB is already enrolled in Cool Mini Or Not's (CMoN) "Legion" program for official demos and playtesting, and I should hopefully get in to the Legion over the next week or two (waiting on my app to be approved). Essentially this means a vast majority of our time at GenCon this year will be demoing at the CMoN booth, playing Dark Age tournaments / events, and in general hanging out.

Hopefully we will see some of you guys there!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:13 am 
Average Gamer
Average Gamer

Game Collection: http://tinyurl.com/m5jw5rk
We're going to be there Wed-Mon. AGG wants to attend the classroom related panels on Wed. We have relatively full schedules the next four days, because as our first time there I wanted to have a "rough guide" for what to do, but at the same time I've heard enough that you don't want to overbook because there's so much to do on the main show room and such...so only a few things on our itinerary are we 100% committed to.

Our hotel isn't very close to the convention center, but we were having major issues with the official system the day of hotel registration and we wound up finding a really good price on our own elsewhere. So we'll have to plan accordingly with the bus...but owell.

I'm excited to check out all sorts of stuff, but mostly I'm just hoping to find some awesome deals at the Auction or on Sunday!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:18 pm 
Adventure Sage
Adventure Sage

OldManMerton wrote:
Our hotel isn't very close to the convention center, but we were having major issues with the official system the day of hotel registration and we wound up finding a really good price on our own elsewhere. So we'll have to plan accordingly with the bus...but owell.

Understandable. From what I have heard, you weren't alone in that. The Housing Bureau sold out every single room that they had available in the local hotels within 3 hours. In the past, the downtown hotels sell out right away and for the rest it has taken about a week for all of the outer hotels to sell out. This year saw a really sharp uptake in housing registrations.

In any case, first year at GenCon is always exciting! I remember being absolutely floored the first time I walked into the main exhibit hall. It truly is a massive event. I've been to a few other conventions life Fire & Ice and other Wisconsin-based conventions, but nothing else that comes close to how big GenCon is. Every year it gets bigger, and every year I enjoy my time there. It's actually kind of interesting how the whole downtown part of the city changes during GenCon. Streets are filled with gamers, restaurants change their menus and redecorate with gaming-related items, etc. etc.

My "Must See" suggestions for GenCon:
  • The Exhibit Hall (duh) :P
  • The Auction Room
  • Aerodrome 1.1 Ace of Aces = Even if you can't get event tickets, walk by their table during an event. It's amazing!
  • Area restaurants. I'm blanking on the names but BHL or GT should know for sure.
  • The Indy developers section of the Exhibit hall. It's cool to see some of the creative games that are in development by other gamers.
  • ANY game that isn't released yet, but available at GenCon. You may have to keep a close eye out for these, as some don't even advertise!

Make sure to keep a running list of all your favorite parts of GenCon... Otherwise it all becomes a blur!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:05 pm 

One restaurant/brewpub is called the Ram. They change their menus and have big Magic/game banners hung. If you're trying to get in during prime lunch /supper hours though - it is packed. I sort of gave up on it because of the crowds, but if you can hit it off times it might be worth it. I think there is some Wednesday night stuff that happens there.

But there are other places too that celebrate the weekend. I think Sun King Brewery is the official brewer of GenCon so they are sure to have events and be welcoming to gamers.

Also, all of the attached hotels have regularly scheduled events in their meeting rooms too, so you may want to familiarize yourself with them so you don't get lost trying to find something.

There is also a big game library room for when you want to play but just aren't sure where else to go. People are always looking for other players.

Lastly, the auction is also on my absolutely must do list. If something has a good price it will be gone fast. Basically, (sorry if you've got this info already) there is an area like a store that you will probably need to wait in line for. There are lots of items in here that have declining prices based on the day ($50 for Friday, $40 on Sat, $30 on Sunday) but not all do.

Then there is the actual auction. This thing goes on most of the day, item after item, and is run like, well, an auction. Everything is to the highest bidder. They have a schedule of categories of items so you know when to be there if say your looking for board games. If an item doesn't get bid on then it sometimes goes over to the store with a minimum. GT is the one that has all the gory details on the auction. Again, sorry if you know all this already.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:11 pm 

Mmmmmm....

....Auction!

I'm not a beer hound, and all the restaurants are full, all the time. I am a fan of the Buca de Bepo there (and they have a lot of tables). But they are local now, so it is probably no big thing now.

...what's with that?