Wisconsin Gaming Group - Oshkosh - NE Wisconsin
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Origins 2013 rundown
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:47 pm 
Average Gamer
Average Gamer

Game Collection: http://
I had a blast at Origins again this year and thought I'd share some of the experience with you all.

First off, if anyone has King of Tokyo and would like some promo cards, I picked them up with you in mind--at least, I figured someone in the group might own the game and be interested in them.

I'll skip the syrupy stuff about seeing old friends that I miss throughout the year and how this is the one reunion I have with them all. I'll skip recounting the beers I tried with my fellow enthusiast gamer friend. I'll skip right to the games.

The old:
I learned some new-to-me games. I loved and dominated at Dominant Species. Birds ftw. I'd love to play another game of it, should any of you own and have need of opponents. It felt surprisingly similar to the Game of Thrones board game I'd learned the previous night. Lanasters for the lose.

Sentinels of the Multiverse was so much superhero geeky fun that I grabbed a copy so my wife and I could team up against some baddies. At this point, I wouldn't turn down a game of Sentinels if it was proposed.

Targi and Super Dungeon Explorer were less fun than expected. Targi is one of the 2 player Kosmos games and it feels like many other Euros I've played--it lacked excitement. Super Dungeon Explorer dragged on a bit long--I liked it, just not such a big serving, like a full game of RoboRally.

The new:
Via Appia is a new Queen game about building the Appian Way. It had a similar feel to Fresco, in that you collect materials and move about the board to construct the road. There's a quarry built on top of the board that employs a dexterity element through which players collect different sizes of stone to build the road. I liked it and would play again, but would not pay $60 for it.

Tzolkin was likewise fun and many of you have already played or seen it, so I won't describe it here. Depending on who you're playing against, it might not be a bad idea to employ a 30 second sand timer for each person's turn. Or make sure one of the players is the "Who's turn is it? Great, what are you doing?" sort. I like having those folks in a game because that is not me, and even I need a shove to move along sometimes.

Trains and Stations comes out from Wizkids in August. It's an excellent dice train game, and I may order a copy depending on price. Yahtzee style rolling is employed, and players select either engines to build track on the board (using the dice as track), money, or matching other symbols in order to build ranches, mines, or hotels at cities on the board. Completing a route clears the dice off the board and the route can be run again. Area control on track connections determines who gets bonuses, but everyone gets points. Anyone with a mine, ranch, or hotel in a connected city gets a relevant card per building, and these cards result in points at the end. Super light for a train game, heavy for a dice game, 30 minutes for experienced players--very cool.

The older:
I got to play a few games again. I was stomped in Shogun, help lead the team to victory in Wrath of Ashardalon, won by gentleman's agreement in Puzzle Fighter, and, climatically, emerged victorious in the annual Baltimore & Ohio tournament over two friends who trade stocks and commodities in Chicago and a Texas businessman on my birthday. Oh, and laughed my bum off playing Telestrations.

It was a blast.

Post subject: Re: Origins 2013 rundown
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:08 pm 
Polyhedral Underground Master

Thanks for sharing! Trains and Stations sounds fun but Roll Through the Ages keeps popping into my mind; is it like that or complexly different? Did you partake in any other events? Any pictures?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:45 pm 
Gaming God
Gaming God

Game Collection: http://tinyurl.com/n69wdof
Yes, thank you for sharing. Sounds like you've played all the games we had at Epic Game night.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:19 pm 

Cool. I so want to go to Origins again.

Sentinels? Yes!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:33 am 
Average Gamer
Average Gamer

Game Collection: http://
No pics of games, just some folks in costumes and my friends--things I sent back to Sam. They're her friends, too, but she's not interested in going to a con.

Trains and stations had more interactivity among players than Roll Through the Ages, and less complexity in obtaining resources and building. A player can leave dice out on uncompleted routes, which would enable another player to complete these, but this allows each player to gain points, and one of them will get nice bonuses. Placing train dice gets more strategic as the game goes on and opponents build mines, ranches, and hotels in cities, as these will give bonuses to their owners whenever routes to these cities are completed.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:54 pm 
Adventure Sage
Adventure Sage

Sounds cool. I may have to check the train game out.

Now I am the Game Master.