Polyhedral Underground - Wisconsin Gaming Group

Wisconsin Gaming Group - Oshkosh - NE Wisconsin
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Park Plaza Mall
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:53 pm 
Polyhedral Underground Master

I came across this interesting blog about the old Park Plaza Mall in downtown Oshkosh. I suppose a lot of you won't care but it was interesting if you grew up going to it. After the blog some people had more interesting information to share.

What memories from mall do you have? Harbinger, I'd be interesting to hear any tidbits of inside info you could add to it.

http://www.labelscar.com/wisconsin/park-plaza-mall

Post subject: Re: Park Plaza Mall
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:07 pm 
Gaming God
Gaming God

Game Collection: http://tinyurl.com/n69wdof
Thanks for sharing. Made me think about malls in the various areas that I grew up in my life. If I was to guess at the demise of the Oshkosh mall downtown, it would have to be its location. There really isn't an easy way for folks to get downtown from surrounding areas. Compared to the Appleton and Fond du Lac malls, the Oshkosh one is in a very difficult location to get to.

The major malls that I haunted were Northridge in Brown Deer which was great until it became a key locations for Milwaukee gangs and Paradise Mall in West Bend that they deconstructed and converted it to a strip mall. Malls were great places in the past because they were the only place to see/touch certain merchandise or hang out at the arcade. Today, I try to avoid all malls. They are for the younger/single folks or people who enjoy 'shopping'.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:41 pm 

I love that place.
We went to the center court, with its awesome cathedral ceiling and sunken floor, often for pictures with Santa, as well as Easter. I loved the wood and concrete and the smell of the place. The escalators were always thrilling for a small kid.
Once, Dan Maronn and I spent all night at Aladin's Castle.
I also remember buying my first computer games there, shortly after buying my first computer.
My brothers and I rode our bikes from Omro to the mall one time.
My last retail experience was buying jewelry from my step mother's family's store. (never did get any discounts)

If you want a bit of experience, go to Becket's restaurant- they celebrate the architect and even have some of the those cool hexagon benches as seating. Plus you can go into the mall proper through there- Becket's uses the center court for receptions.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:29 pm 
Game Master
Game Master

What type of gamer are you?: Computer
Aladdin's Castle was awesome. I remember being there for Birthday parties where you'd get unlimited tokens for an hour. I think I still have some unspent tokens and the red velvet pouch. Super Mario 3 was the game to play!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:05 pm 
Gaming God
Gaming God

I use to run the mall show for the Winnebago RC Fliers many years ago at the mall. It was a fun event and we helped kids build rubber powered planes and flew them in center court.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:05 am 

The thing that got me in the posts, that I had forgotten about, were the fountains. I used to be mesmerized by those when I was little. Pretty fancy stuff if you think about it. It was sad how over the visits one would stop working and then the next time another, etc.

I worked at Sears sometime around '90 (for maybe a year?) and we would scarf down our lunch so we could spend 20 minutes in Aladdin's.