Help. . . I need ideas

Catch up with your fellow members. General Chat.
AdventGeekGirl
Fierce Competitor
Fierce Competitor
Game Collection: http://adventgeekgirl.blogspot.com/p/bl ... _5912.html

Help. . . I need ideas

#1 Post by AdventGeekGirl » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:32 am

Pubs have always been a great place to toss around ideas and get opinions from people. . . so here it is. . .

I'm trying to think of a great fundraising idea for our Tabletop Gaming Club. We're hoping to raise money to cover trips to conventions and games to add to our club collection. Sadly, I feel sort of defunked as a fundraiser organizer and I was trying to think of something that would be unique to gaming, but would also encourage a large group of people to donate to our cause of gaming enhancing the middle school experience (socially and academically).

Any ideas outside of bake sales, Mr. Z's, or other typical kid fundraiser things? Dice had crossed my mind (make some South Park dice with a paw on them or something), but I don't know if it'd make the financial impact we need, plus we'd need the money upfront and we'd have to recoup.

HELP!!! [-o<
“Being a geek is all about being honest about what you enjoy and not being afraid to demonstrate that affection. . . Being a geek is extremely liberating.” ― Simon Pegg

Skittlebrau
Polyhedral Underground Master
What type of gamer are you?: RPG
Location: Stuck in the mud at the Rocketville paintball field.

Re: Help. . . I need ideas

#2 Post by Skittlebrau » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:42 am

Fireworks tent?
I may not be perfect, but parts of me are pretty awesome.

boathouselooper
What type of gamer are you?: Card

#3 Post by boathouselooper » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:08 am

Dice are expensive. If you could get a few to show and then have them pre-ordered and delivered later you wouldn't have to worry so much about a big upfront investment.
Simon: Hello
Robert: Hello
Simon: What's your name?
Robert: Um, Robert Unwin
Simon: And what do you do?
Robert: I work at a chicken factory.
<Silence>
Simon: .....Good....

petronivs
Average Gamer
Average Gamer

#4 Post by petronivs » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:10 am

One guy I know has been promoting a 'game a thon' that he and his girlfriend are doing. They're taking pledges towards some charity and webcasting themselves playing video games constantly for a couple days or something. (I'm not sure how this is something they wouldn't be doing anyways, but *shrug*.)

Have you heard about SimplyFun? (Google it if not.) Maybe they have programs for fundraising.
I don't make everything dirty. I just show you the dirtiness you've been in denial about.

AdventGeekGirl
Fierce Competitor
Fierce Competitor

#5 Post by AdventGeekGirl » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:08 pm

Do you think hosting a family guy night would potentially bring in some peeps? Those of you with elementary school kids or homeschool families. . . would you go to a middle school who opened their doors for a family game night? There'd be like a raffle and family game auction and concessions and other gaming awesomeness (a mini-kid-con?)....
“Being a geek is all about being honest about what you enjoy and not being afraid to demonstrate that affection. . . Being a geek is extremely liberating.” ― Simon Pegg

Captain Yid
Gaming God
Gaming God

#6 Post by Captain Yid » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:34 pm

If you need a few hundred bucks, then see if you can help out and promote an evening at Culvers. They will give like 10% of their sales to your organization for the few hours that your students help out. They must be well behaved and courteous or they will never have you back again, but I've had good luck with the ones in Fond du Lac. I'd hope Oshkosh would be as receptive.
The wheel is turning, but the hamster is dead.

I just go where I'm told. Hell is a frequent location.
Yid

AdventGeekGirl
Fierce Competitor
Fierce Competitor

#7 Post by AdventGeekGirl » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:58 pm

Captain Yid wrote:If you need a few hundred bucks, then see if you can help out and promote an evening at Culvers. They will give like 10% of their sales to your organization for the few hours that your students help out. They must be well behaved and courteous or they will never have you back again, but I've had good luck with the ones in Fond du Lac. I'd hope Oshkosh would be as receptive.
Yeah, the Oshkosh Culver's does that. I'm having my Forensics Team work there for sure (great experience with public speaking). I'm waffling over it for the TG club. 10% you say? hmmmm. :-)

Skittlebrau
What type of gamer are you?: RPG
Location: Stuck in the mud at the Rocketville paintball field.

Help. . . I need ideas

#8 Post by Skittlebrau » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:13 pm

My wife's church's youth group has done the Culver's thing, and so did my daughters German club.

Buffalo Wild Wings will do this too, but without actually requiring anyone to help. But for b-dubs, they only give a percentage with people who bring a special coupon. (And they won't let you just hand them out at the door as people come in... We tried!)

Culvers does it for EVERYONE who comes in during the time frame.
I may not be perfect, but parts of me are pretty awesome.

Guardtroll

#9 Post by Guardtroll » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:21 pm

How about selling printed t-shirts?

I might know a guy.
Trolls exist!
They steal your socks. But only the left ones...

...what's with that?

AdventGeekGirl
Fierce Competitor
Fierce Competitor

#10 Post by AdventGeekGirl » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:29 pm

Skittlebrau wrote:My wife's church's youth group has done the Culver's thing, and so did my daughters German club.

Buffalo Wild Wings will do this too, but without actually requiring anyone to help. But for b-dubs, they only give a percentage with people who bring a special coupon. (And they won't let you just hand them out at the door as people come in... We tried!)

Culvers does it for EVERYONE who comes in during the time frame.

Oooo.... wings you say? :-k I know our music department uses Culver's alot. My concern for my TG club is that many of them are very shy and spook easily. . . well. . . at first at least. Buffalo might be better for them, but then it's finding the people to hand out coupons to. Hmmm.... I'm adding it to the list of possibilities.
Guardtroll wrote:How about selling printed t-shirts?

I might know a guy.
I'd say yes if the actual kids in the club hadn't just screwed me on the shirts we ordered through the school supplier. Don't put in an order unless the kids are, like, signing a contract to purchase a shirt before you order them. We should have gotten the quote and charged the kids. Oh the lessons I'm learning this year!

These have all been awesome ideas. I'm adding them to the list as I get closer to a weekend of potential contemplation.

Captain Yid
Gaming God
Gaming God

#11 Post by Captain Yid » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:27 pm

I did a t-shirt order for my forensics team and ended up canceling it because they didn't all produce the cash to execute the order. They learned the lesson there. Oshkosh West will print shirts on the cheap. Sorry, GT.

Yid

Guardtroll

#12 Post by Guardtroll » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:49 am

No offense taken. I don't even try to compete with free labor pools.
Trolls exist!
They steal your socks. But only the left ones...

...what's with that?

AdventGeekGirl
Fierce Competitor
Fierce Competitor

#13 Post by AdventGeekGirl » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:29 am

West does in fact print shirts on the cheap. I got the Club shirts for $4 a shirt (except for my big-person shirt) and they are awesome! Now to sell them!

Cap'n do you have a Forensics Team? My kids, this year, are going to the Little Chute Middle Level competitions in February.

Captain Yid
Gaming God
Gaming God

#14 Post by Captain Yid » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:32 pm

AdventGeekGirl wrote:
Cap'n do you have a Forensics Team? My kids, this year, are going to the Little Chute Middle Level competitions in February.
I was Fondy's head coach for 3 years at the high school. I hung it up because it started to own me. I still help out with West's team a little. I'm not sure if I'm going to judge for WFCA or WHSFA this year or not. Don't get me wrong, I still love doing it.

Yid