Idea: Promote PolyU at interest meetup site?

Catch up with your fellow members. General Chat.
umotu
Average Gamer
Average Gamer
Game Collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/use ... dgame&ff=1
Plus games I'm designing & games at Polk Library

Idea: Promote PolyU at interest meetup site?

#1 Post by umotu » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:45 am

Have any of you poly u guardians thought of posting poly u on an interest site such as meetup.com? (and no, it's not a dating website =)
As someone who just got into town I was looking for something just like PolyU as soon as we knew we would move here, but didn't find any game groups in Oshkosh online and I wouldn't have learned of the group if not for a chance encounter. I thought it might be a considerate thing to post the group online for others like me, but I defer to the guards (they may want to keep the underground aspect as alive as possible). I just consider myself lucky and thankful that I ran into ya'll - it's made my time in Oshkosh much more enjoyable and meant that I don't have to drive to Appleton or Green Bay to play games. :) Thanks!

Harbinger
Polyhedral Underground Master

Re: Idea: Promote PolyU at interest meetup site?

#2 Post by Harbinger » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:58 am

It might be a good idea as a side arm to the group. This will pull the pressure off of individuals to host. If we had a good public meeting place I would be all for it.
Memoir wouldn't do that...

Lartarin
Game Master
Game Master
What type of gamer are you?: Computer

#3 Post by Lartarin » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:51 pm

umotu wrote:...but didn't find any game groups in Oshkosh online...
Do you happen to know what search terms you were using? I can look into adding them to the website to help the search engines find us. Currently we should show pretty high for "oshkosh gaming group" and "wisconsin gaming group".

--Matt
Figment of your Imagination

D Erasmus
Gaming God
Gaming God
Game Collection: http://tinyurl.com/n69wdof

#4 Post by D Erasmus » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:11 pm

Harb may want to update his link on this post. The URL is bad. :)

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/76009/o ... -undergrou
Captain Yid - Hell, for 25 million I'd still play. It's not like he is being dared to eat cat crap or anything.

umotu
Average Gamer
Average Gamer
Game Collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/use ... dgame&ff=1
Plus games I'm designing & games at Polk Library

#5 Post by umotu » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:20 am

- Harb: Public places around here are hard to come by, however, there might be a coffee shop or two ... or a place on campus? Maybe others have ideas.... be good to take some of the strain off you. Btw, Thurs nights the gaming group meets at UWO, its a good fall back plan since they already meet at the same time and day, however, I'm not sure about the rules of us outsiders showing up (or even if we want to). I'll be happy to host as well :)

- Lartarn: I might have made the mistake of searching for "UWO gaming" or "university" or just looking on meetup.com since that's a well known clearing house website, I should have searched more.... guilty as charged!

All: if you like, I could post something on meetup in Jan. See who if anyone comes.....

boathouselooper
What type of gamer are you?: Card

#6 Post by boathouselooper » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:00 am

I think the UWO gaming group is pretty open, though having a bunch of middle aged guys show up might be a bit off putting. They do have a very active facebook group so I suppose you could join / stalk them there. They meet in Reeve Union and that is a pretty large public meeting place. However, I imagine there would be a fee associated with it. My guess is the UWO student gaming group, as a recognized University club, does not have to pay (or maybe they do, but they are probably allotted a set sum each semester and put that towards the room fees). Again, it might be a question for them.
Simon: Hello
Robert: Hello
Simon: What's your name?
Robert: Um, Robert Unwin
Simon: And what do you do?
Robert: I work at a chicken factory.
<Silence>
Simon: .....Good....

Skittlebrau
What type of gamer are you?: RPG
Location: Stuck in the mud at the Rocketville paintball field.

#7 Post by Skittlebrau » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:43 am

As a full time student at UWO right now... I totally have access to that group, and don't feel like an "outsider" as much as some might. I have been to a few of their game nights in the past. Good folks, friendly and all, but I don't expect many of the Poly-U would feel too comfortable there. If I was a "normal" student, it would be the best thing since sliced bread. But it's a different crowd than our group, and I raised the average age in the room by about 5 years just walking in the door.
I may not be perfect, but parts of me are pretty awesome.