Why PolyU kicks ass

Catch up with your fellow members. General Chat.
boathouselooper
Polyhedral Underground Master
What type of gamer are you?: Card

Why PolyU kicks ass

#1 Post by boathouselooper » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:08 pm

Though I run the risk of upsetting some sort of anal retentive organization freak, I'm going to disrupt the trend in "The Pub" by starting a thread that doesn't start with "Happy Birthday."

After a few posts yesterday I started thinking again about how great the PolyU group really is. I don't know how many of you know what brought me here, or if you care, but I'm gonna fuckin' tell ya anyway. And then I'm gonna give a little love to the PU.

My old gaming group started with me and my best friend in about 1984. We grew up close to each other and met in kindergarten. We played Risk in 6th grade and eventually made our way to Axis and Allies in 8th grade. Then in 9th grade we started playing D&D red box edition. Slowly, other guys that we hung out with started gaming with us. During high school we pretty much stayed small, but after college we had about 12 people in the group. We had also stopped playing board games and focused almost exclusively on RPGs. Can you imagine one GM and 11 players? It was chaotic - but still fun.

Then came the 2000 election. Things were said. Feelings were hurt. When did we all grow up to give a shit about politics? The group exploded and many people put down the dice for years (me included). The small, original group would sometimes get together for small RPG sessions. We also would play some online games together but not enough for my tastes.

In 2003 or so I would make comments to my wife that I wanted to find a new group. This proved to be harder than I thought. Mostly I wanted to still game with my original group but it was hard to find the motivation as what transpired in 2000 was still chafing some.

I started to look for groups around the area in 2006ish. I found the PolyU site one night (when the skin of the forum was basic blue / white), but then couldn't find it again on other searches. There was also a lot of traffic on the PolyU site about SEIV and I wasn't sure if the group was open to new people or what not. I don't remember why, but I started looking at board games. Which led me to BGG. I didn't register for a long time on the site. Eventually I did. Harb contacted me and asked if I was going to be at OshCon. I figured, 'what the heck. I've been looking for more consistent gaming and a new group, so why not?'

I went to OshCon, met a bunch of people from PolyU and then started coming to PU events. Mostly they were weekend Paloozas. I was commuting to West Bend from Oshkosh each day and driving back across town for game night didn't appeal to me. Transferring to Oshkosh for work was a move that allowed me to make weekly game nights.

So - (that got a bit long) - what's the point?

Well, the campus is doing this Civility Project along with some other organizations in the area. There are nine areas to the Civility Principles and our department is diving into this head first.

The nine Civility Principles are (and this is a quick summary):
1. Pay Attention: Be aware of others & sensitive to the immediate context of action.
2. Listen Closely: Understand other points of view.
3. Be Inclusive: Welcome all, don't exclude anyone.
4. Don't Gossip: remind others of the importance of this practice.
5. Show Respect: Honor others, especially in disagreements.
6. Be Agreeable: Find opportunities to agree.
7. Apologize sincerely: repair damaged relationships.
8. Give constructive comments, suggestions & feedback: No personal attacks (focus on issues).
9. Accept responsibility: Don't shift blame; share disagreements publicly.

We had a long talk about these today in a staff meeting and I started to think that this is why I love PolyU so much.

We treat each other like people, not numbers. We treat each other like we'd like to be treated. We have a mutual love of gaming and joking around and having a good time. We respect one another and if disagreements show up, they work themselves out in reasonable discussions AND people man up and make things right. We pay attention to each other and genuinely care about one another.*

We feel comfortable inviting others into our homes and actually do things outside of the game nights! I've gone to dinner with members of the PolyU and had play dates so my kids could hang out with other PolyU members' kids. It's been awesome!

I know I've said this before but I'll say it again. Finding and then joining this group is one of the best decisions I've ever made.

Long live Polyhedral Underground.

* and politics and religion are off topic on the boards. Fuck yeah
Simon: Hello
Robert: Hello
Simon: What's your name?
Robert: Um, Robert Unwin
Simon: And what do you do?
Robert: I work at a chicken factory.
<Silence>
Simon: .....Good....

Skittlebrau
What type of gamer are you?: RPG
Location: Stuck in the mud at the Rocketville paintball field.

Re: Why PolyU kicks ass

#2 Post by Skittlebrau » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:09 pm

TL;DR

Summary: Poly-U is made of Awesomesauce.
I may not be perfect, but parts of me are pretty awesome.

Captain Yid
Gaming God
Gaming God

#3 Post by Captain Yid » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:22 pm

SLTNLN. Oh wait, that's for geocaching. LONG LIVE THE PU!
The wheel is turning, but the hamster is dead.

I just go where I'm told. Hell is a frequent location.
Yid

Mountain Climber
Fierce Competitor
Fierce Competitor
Game Collection: http://6
http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/use ... dgame&ff=1

#4 Post by Mountain Climber » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:40 am

I appreciate that even though I only show up sporadically, I always feel welcome and have a good time when I do come. Few groups are able to remain open like that.
Wyldeoak on BGG

D Erasmus
Gaming God
Gaming God
Game Collection: http://tinyurl.com/n69wdof

#5 Post by D Erasmus » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:57 pm

Hey! Who interrupted the Happy Birthday thread!
Captain Yid - Hell, for 25 million I'd still play. It's not like he is being dared to eat cat crap or anything.

Superhawk
Gaming God
Gaming God

#6 Post by Superhawk » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:05 pm

I'm confused......So whose birthday is it?
You and Superhawk are already the internet tough guys

Guardtroll

#7 Post by Guardtroll » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:15 am

Superhawk wrote:I'm confused......So whose birthday is it?
Geez, pick one. There are NINE of you people this month!

October must be "Hey Honey, Lets Make a Gamer" month.

Just Sayin'
:oops:
Trolls exist!
They steal your socks. But only the left ones...

...what's with that?

Oberon
Adventure Sage
Adventure Sage
Game Collection: http://

#8 Post by Oberon » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:15 am

Although I am late in responding to BHL's post, I agree wholeheartedly with it. From the beginning I felt that the PolyU (or "Clan" something-or-other back in the day) was a special group of people and had the potential to be more than the typical gaming group. Even though I've found a local group in Sheboygan to satisfy my gaming needs, I still value the relationship I have with everyone "way over there" in Oshkosh.

Thanks for taking a risk and "laying it all out there", BHL.
Bolivian Pineapple Drug Mule

Superhawk
Gaming God
Gaming God

#9 Post by Superhawk » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:41 am

Guardtroll wrote:
Superhawk wrote:I'm confused......So whose birthday is it?
Geez, pick one. There are NINE of you people this month!

October must be "Hey Honey, Lets Make a Gamer" month.

Just Sayin'
:oops:
Well, October is really the start of the cold weather gaming season isn't it?
You and Superhawk are already the internet tough guys

Seripmav

#10 Post by Seripmav » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:17 pm

Thanks for the post BHL. This is an awsome group of people and I'm amazed how, after all these years, I still give a little fist pump when I'm at work and I remember it's a game night.
I'm giving myself the Vulcan nerve pinch right now!

JayZeem
Game Guru
Game Guru

#11 Post by JayZeem » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:56 am

If you notice this PolyU kicks ass post was made AFTER I returned from the great beyond.

Not implying anything, just sayin'.......Okay, I'm impling something
A good friend will bail you out of jail, but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying "Wow, that was fun."