So, what type of gamer are you?

Catch up with your fellow members. General Chat.

What Player Type Are You?

Competitor
43%
Socializer
29%
Dreamer
29%

Total votes: 7

D Erasmus
Gaming God
Gaming God
Game Collection: http://tinyurl.com/n69wdof

So, what type of gamer are you?

#1 Post by D Erasmus » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:54 am

I swipped this from Patrick Carroll on BGG. So which one are you? Take poll above and post below.

IMO there are three main things one can enjoy about games:
1. Thought--planning and executing strategy or solving puzzles--exercising the mind;
2. Interaction--connecting with people--socializing, competing, trading, negotiating, etc.;
3. Imagination/Emotion--participating in make-believe--a narrative, theme, or story.

I find that hardly anybody is pulled in just one of these three directions, though; people seem to be drawn toward two of them in close combination, while the third is less important. The resulting combinations correspond to these three player types I first named in an Avalon Hill General article I wrote in 1985:

Competitor (Thought + Interaction): Enjoys "playing the players": imposing challenges on other human minds and dealing with the challenges others impose--using all available tools to optimize play.

Socializer (Interaction + Imagination/Emotion): Enjoys sharing a fun, structured experience with others; it can be a "make-believe" experience, as in RPGs or thematic games, or it can be just delighting in the camaraderie around the game table.

Dreamer (Thought + Imagination/Emotion): Enjoys introvertedly working out the "puzzles" imposed by the game system while also enjoying the game's theme or narrative or historical/cultural niche; i.e., studying the game or vicariously experiencing what it portrays.
Captain Yid - Hell, for 25 million I'd still play. It's not like he is being dared to eat cat crap or anything.

D Erasmus
Gaming God
Gaming God
Game Collection: http://tinyurl.com/n69wdof

Re: So, what type of gamer are you?

#2 Post by D Erasmus » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:02 am

If I were to rank them... I think it would be...

1) Interaction - Love messing with BHL's game.
2) Thought - Like to challenge my witts against the other PHU brainiacs. Video games give you this, but are very poor in the interaction.
3) Imagination/Emotion - Not so much. Theme is great. Every Euro I like could use some thematic upgrade. However, if I need theme, I'd rather role-play, watch it on TV or go for the real experience.

So, that is why I'm a competitor....
Captain Yid - Hell, for 25 million I'd still play. It's not like he is being dared to eat cat crap or anything.

Skittlebrau
Polyhedral Underground Master
Polyhedral Underground Master
What type of gamer are you?: RPG
Location: Stuck in the mud at the Rocketville paintball field.

#3 Post by Skittlebrau » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:33 am

I rank them like this;

Interaction- I can play with myself, but where is the fun in that? I can make myself laugh anytime I want, but making other people around me happy is my biggest joy in life. It's why I am always joking, buying new games, etc. i like to make people happy.

Imagination/Emotion- EVERY game has a theme. Even if it is thin, and splashed on, it has a theme, there is a reason for this. Not everyone wants to be a "Farmer" or "Space truck Driver", but NO ONE wants to be "cube move number add chit collect".

Thought- I enjoy a good puzzle, and LOVE figuring stuff out. I am a sucker for hidden role selection games and deduction. (even when I am not good at them) But those all involve a social element of reading people, interacting, playing the character, etc. I get bored easily, since I can "figure games out" quickly. I am not saying I'll have the optimal strategy, or that I have "solved" the game, I just have a knack for catching on quick. And that reduces the fun for me, since once I have it figured out, I'd rather try something else. That is actually why I have quite a few "played a few times, won every time, haven't played again" games on the list. I don't care about win/lose stats as some imply, but once I have "figured out" how to play a game, it loses interest for me very fast. ( Unless of course there is a fun theme, and lots of social interaction in the game... \:D/ )
I may not be perfect, but parts of me are pretty awesome.

Captain Yid
Gaming God
Gaming God

#4 Post by Captain Yid » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:18 pm

1. Thought--I enjoy the planning and some form of strategy once I learn the game and playing around with different strategies. I don't like puzzles. I do get impatient when a game is suppose to move and it stalls.
2. Imagination/Emotion--I like theme and messin with people. This ties into interaction.
3. Interaction--Negotiating (Diplomacy), Trading (Settlers) however, connecting with you guys is always a pick me up.
The wheel is turning, but the hamster is dead.

I just go where I'm told. Hell is a frequent location.
Yid