Wisconsin Gaming Group - Oshkosh - NE Wisconsin
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: April 18
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:23 pm 
Fierce Competitor
Fierce Competitor

Game Collection: http://adventgeekgirl.blogspot.com/p/bl ... _5912.html
Since my students are on Spring Break during the International Tabletop Day "holiday," we will be hosting our club event on April 18th to also coincide with the South Park Clean Up!

We'll be hosting in the cafeteria from 10AM until 3 or 5. I'm not sure yet. But everyone and their families are invited. My kids will be hosting. We'll have some little raffle bits going on. Hopefully a little more organized than last year. But I just wanted to invite y'all. \:D/

Post subject: Re: April 18
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:21 am 
Adventure Sage
Adventure Sage

Great!
I will mark it down.
I should be back in town by then.
I enjoy my last time with the group.

Later

Now I am the Game Master.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:54 pm 
Gaming God
Gaming God

Game Collection: http://tinyurl.com/n69wdof
Its on the calender. See you then!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:26 pm 
Fierce Competitor
Fierce Competitor

I'm glad to hear ya'll are hopefully coming. My kids are so very excited and some are bringing their families!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:25 am 
Fierce Competitor
Fierce Competitor

DE, it was great for you to come out. I hope you had fun!

Next year we'll be hosting something again and continuing to learn from the previous events (such as enforcing them helping actually set-up and strike-down the event.... so exhausting....). Already this year I saw a huge improvement in the "professionalism" of the students in running an event and it did my heart proud to see how they'd developed just since NEW Game. Their passion for games and now their passion for sharing what they've learned is so wonderful!

Ray was able to play some new games with some of the group members and he was above-and-beyond impressed with their ability to grasp the concepts and become immediately involved in the games. Again, he saw growth in the members that he played with. The group is shaping up to be something that I am proud to have helped develop and these students are developing each year and becoming more invested. Granted, there are still some students I need to work with and I think are showing up just for attention reasons and aren't actually interested in gaming, but it's a lesson for everyone and we can only grow from our experiences. The group has become a small family that eats lunch and games together everyday and it's produced some inspirational students who are also seriously passionate about creating and experiencing games.

It's only our second year and I had hit some pretty intense hurdles with some things that were going on in club... so much so that I almost wanted to close club, but after one of our members-sit-downs, the kids who really have invested their heart in the club helped to really change things and we're right back on track and continuing to learn, grow, and game!

Thanks for everyone's support and help with the club over the last two years. And we're looking forward to next year!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:12 am 
Gaming God
Gaming God

Game Collection: http://tinyurl.com/n69wdof
Thanks for the invite. Pleasure seeing you and your group thrive. You had a great turn out on such a nice day outside.

The only thing that I struggle with also is how to get the parents more involved too so that the kids have an audience to teach/share their experience. We have this same issue with our home school game group. The kids love to come play but the parents scatter quickly or look at the game and consider it too hard. Maybe it will take a whole generation for 'adults' to get over this fear. Too bad because the kids have a lot to offer and can grow more quickly to the next level when they have to be accountable for the whole presentation and teach someone else.

Keep up the great work.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:31 pm 
Fierce Competitor
Fierce Competitor

One of my students really impressed me when his parents came around. He stopped gaming with the other kids, took is parents to a table, and showed them his favorite games. I told him today how I thought that was really nice of him and that maybe next year his parents could stay longer to hang out and play.

I know at this age the kids wants to socialize and be more alone, shunning their parents, but it's growing a bit more. One of my non-gamer-club-kids had their parent and little brother stay. I totally agree though. Next year hopefully things'll fall at a better time and I can work a bit harder on putting the word out to get the families coming. I thought some of my co-workers were coming with their kids, but they were no-shows. :-(

Onwards and upwards! Back to the kids learning their first RPGs....

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:33 pm 
Polyhedral Underground Master
Polyhedral Underground Master

Location: Stuck in the mud at the Rocketville paintball field.
What type of gamer are you?: RPG
AdventGeekGirl wrote:
Onwards and upwards! Back to the kids learning their first RPGs....

\:D/