Wisconsin Gaming Group - Oshkosh - NE Wisconsin
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: M:tG Commander
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:57 pm 
Polyhedral Underground Master
Polyhedral Underground Master

What type of gamer are you?: Card
I know there are quite a few people in the group that are familiar with Magic the Gathering. And I also know there are a lot of negative connotations that go along with the game. I've been enjoying it for a few years now, but mostly from a casual aspect, gaming with my kids and some other RPG friends of mine. I went to a few Friday Night Magic nights but those really seem to be all about finding the "best" net-deck and having a lot of expensive cards. I much prefer a more friendly, casual experience with Magic the Gathering.

Enter Commander, or Elder Dragon Highlander (EDH). Commander is designed to be a social, fun, interactive multi-player gaming experience. It is NOT designed to be a competitive, win at all costs game. There are plenty of competitive formats out there, such as Standard, Modern, Legacy and Vintage, where you can be a spike and make little kids cry because you locked them down the whole game or beat their face with your 10/10 trampler. These competitive formats favor the power cards and generally require a substantial investment.

With Commander, the game is about having fun and being social. With it being a multi-player game, there is a lot of table talk and politicking ("ooh, he played XY card, you know what that means? It means you should totally attack him. NO, I won't attack you if you are tapped out. Trust me!"). As the founder of the format says, "Commander is about creating games that you’d love to remember, not the ones others would like to forget.” More on the philosophy of the format can be found here: http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showthread.php?t=309991

So what IS Commander?

It is a 100 card 'singleton' deck. That is, each card in your deck must be unique, except for Basic Lands. You must designate one of the 100 cards as your Commander. This Commander MUST be a Legendary Creature. Each card in your deck must conform to the Commander's color identity. The color identity are the colors in the Commander's casting cost.

For example, If your Commander as a casting cost of 3 :manared: :managreen: , then every card in your deck can only be Red and/or Green. No other mana symbols are allowed. Say a green creature allows you to tap for :manawhite: that card would not be allowed in your deck, as it has a white mana symbol on it.

This format is designed to alleviate concerns such as those that Oberon raises here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2013#p18534

The other thing the format encourages are the weird designs that you can only get away with in casual play. For example, every card in your deck must start with the letter J, or each card has to be a Dragon or each card is Demon. You can create a unique theme deck. My first Commander deck was blue/white Angels and Humans. I plan on making a "Dan Brown" deck made up of Angels and Demons, as well as a "B" deck that is Black and Blue and each card starts with B.

Obviously the game will still have a winner, but the game play is what is important, not the winning. But each group creates their own sets of rules as well, so it can be customized and cater to the particular group.

Official rules are here: http://mtgcommander.net/rules.php

Finally, I know that Magic is not for everyone. That's fine. I happen to enjoy it. If you are interested in trying out Commander, I have some preconstructed decks and would be willing to teach. There would be no investment required on your part.

Pull out those Magic cards, find a Commander and start brewing!

Robert: Um, Robert Unwin
Simon: And what do you do?
Robert: I work at a chicken factory.
<Silence>
Simon: .....Good....

Post subject: Re: M:tG Commander
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:43 pm 
Average Gamer
Average Gamer

Game Collection: http://tinyurl.com/m5jw5rk
I haven't played physical Magic since 2001 or 2002, but Highlander (sans Elder Dragon) was always a fave of mine.

Good fun.