Wisconsin Gaming Group - Oshkosh - NE Wisconsin
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Basing for Miniatures
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:35 pm 
Adventure Sage
Adventure Sage

What type of gamer are you?: Computer
As we now have 4-5 active Dark Age players in the Appleton / Green Bay area for Dark Age, we've started to play more often. A couple of us are even considering doing "official" demos for Dark Age in the near future.

That being said, I'm looking to add some more customization and uniqueness to my units. I've been trying to find the right materials for all of the basing, but I haven't had much success thus far. I'm hoping some of you might have some additional ideas or places I could look to get the things I want for the bases. Right now I just have the cheap black plastic bases that came with the minis. I know that I want to make my own unique bases rather than buying the pre-made bases from somewhere like Kromlech.eu.

Here's some pics and background on the faction I'm playing:

Quote:
The Skarrd

The Forsaken clergy have long spoken of “devils wearing the skin of men” and nowhere are this truer than in the ruined laboratories and outposts of the Great Expanse. From the degenerate tribes of the wasteland come the Skarrd, an army of cannibalistic madmen fueled by rage and death. Of these tribes come the sinister adherents of the Toxic Cult, merciless proctors of poisons and venom; the Blood Cult, zealous murders dedicated to bathing the sands in red; and the wicked experiments of the Fallen Saint Johann and his Cult of Metamorphosis. The Fallen Saint, Johann the Heretic, brought the science of grafting to the Baniss tribes. This practice, heretical in the eyes of the Forsaken, involves the combining of machinery with living flesh.

So, the Skarrd are mutant cannibals who have grafted mechanical and random metal parts into their bodies. Dark Age is set in a post-apocalpytic world, and since my faction is from the wastelands, I was thinking something along this for the basing:
  • 1st Choice: Possible theme of ruined urban style with shattered concrete & metal fragments
  • 2nd Choice: Possible theme of sand & rock wasteland
  • For some of the more brutal units I was going to include something like skulls, body parts, etc.
  • One enemy faction is the "Core", which are industrial robots - so maybe pieces of random destroyed robots?

Like I said, I found a few premade bases, but I couldn't find anything that really would work well for unique bases in the ruined urban theme. Any ideas?

"If you don't like something, hit it.
:boxing:
If it hits back, shoot it.
:leftfighter4: :halfrobot:
If it's still moving - RUN."

:eeeeek: => :transformer:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:16 pm 
Polyhedral Underground Master

I've seen people using kitty litter to give a rough rocky texture. In the same vein I think aquarium "sand/rocks" might offer some interesting base colors or shapes. I typically walk down the jewelry isles in Hobby Lobby to see if anything would look useful when painted. There's all sorts of little wires and do hickies there.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:39 pm 
Game Guru
Game Guru

Game Collection: Bgg /Kavu
a couple of ideas...

In the semi-premade category you could get some relevant molds such as http://www.hirstarts.com/molds/moldssci.html and make/ customise your own from those components.
for more diy one other possible source of accents in the right scale would be old analogue watches or computer parts/ screws, springs, (may circuit boards when painted & assuming you can get bits not likely to leak anything)?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:40 pm 

What type of gamer are you?: Card
Elric wrote:
  • 1st Choice: Possible theme of ruined urban style with shattered concrete & metal fragments
  • 2nd Choice: Possible theme of sand & rock wasteland
  • For some of the more brutal units I was going to include something like skulls, body parts, etc.
  • One enemy faction is the "Core", which are industrial robots - so maybe pieces of random destroyed robots?

Like I said, I found a few premade bases, but I couldn't find anything that really would work well for unique bases in the ruined urban theme. Any ideas?

Ahhh, miniatures, how I miss them....

For concrete and metal fragments, I would try some foamcore boards. If you tear the foamcore it should look like concrete when painted. You can also separate the hard shell from the softer inside (leave one side of the harder shell) and then you can poke at the foamcore to make some interesting texture. Then put the mini on the base.

For metal fragments, you can just use plastic bits from your bits bin (because as a minis guy, you have a bits bin, right?). If you paint it to look like metal, well, there you go.

Sand and rock is easy. Just use sand and glue mixed together. I'd say toothpaste consistency. Glop it on and let it dry. Paint and done.

Skulls and such - I hit Chimera and look at other minis that are cheap or on clearance and get D&D skeletons. Cut them up and leave the bones lying around on the base.

I'm sure there are awesome tutorials on Youtube as well.

:-)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Robert: Um, Robert Unwin
Simon: And what do you do?
Robert: I work at a chicken factory.
<Silence>
Simon: .....Good....

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:33 am 
Adventure Sage
Adventure Sage

Great ideas, thanks guys!

I've also heard a lot of mini basing "crafters" use corkboard. Can you think of any local places to find something like that, or would it also be something online-only? I might just hit up Hobby Lobby and see if I can find some random parts that will work for what I need. As BHL mentioned, I do have a bits bin that I can use pieces from, but most of that is random metal and it would take a considerable amount of effort to make those pieces look like something realistic. Several of the minis I pictured above actually have custom pieces added to them from leftover pieces from other minis / games. Buying a bunch of clearance or cheap minis from Chimeras wouldn't be a bad idea either.

As for the Hirst molds Coffeedrinker, that is a good idea. I have two of those that I was using for building fantasy castle terrain, but they just don't fit well for Dark Age. The only issue with those is that they can get pretty expensive. I do have a good 30-40 lbs of the Excalibur material that I could use at least, so that at least cuts down on the overall cost. It's just the idea of dropping $35 on another mold... ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:12 pm 
Adventure Sage
Adventure Sage

Sorry for the long absence... I've been painting and basic quite a bit models over the last few months. Thanks again for all the ideas! I ended up buying a few "extra bits" from other miniatures players on eBay and finding a few more natural items near my house. Here are the most recent pics:

Current Skarrd Army

Skarrd Nightmare Juggernaut

Skarrd Warhead

Skarrd Raze

Skarrd Golab

Skarrd Father Johann

Skarrd Grafter

Skarrd Buzzblades

Skarrd Grafted Harpies

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:58 pm 

What type of gamer are you?: Card
Wow! Nice work on these!

Robert: Um, Robert Unwin
Simon: And what do you do?
Robert: I work at a chicken factory.
<Silence>
Simon: .....Good....

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:03 pm 
Adventure Sage
Adventure Sage

boathouselooper wrote:
Wow! Nice work on these!

Thanks BHL! Long time no talk man, how ya been? I know what you're thinking - "Man, these Dark Age models look like a lot of fun. I should drop Warmachine and get back into Dark Age!"... ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:52 am 

These look pretty gruesome! Nice work.