Wisconsin Gaming Group - Oshkosh - NE Wisconsin
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:04 am 
Adventure Sage
Adventure Sage

What type of gamer are you?: Computer
atom wrote:
I'm going to have to get storage containers for my army someday. What kind did you get? The little compartments in normal minis cases won't fit the heavy warjacks of Khador.

I think I only spent $200 or a bit less over the course of a year on my 500 point Khador army. That doesn't include paints and supplies and stuff, however.

Elric wrote:
I have one smaller carrying case that holds 10 figures or so that is part of the ARMYTRANSPORT series from http://www.saboldesigns.net/home.html. However, the only reason I have that is because I got it for free, otherwise they are *CRAZY* expensive. For the most part, I use two of my own carrying cases made from scratch. I'll take pictures when I get the chance and post them, but they are basically a "plastic briefcase" with foam inserts I cut to size. I slapped some artwork on there and they look decent.

Ok, so I finally got around to taking some pics of two of my cases... generally cost $15 or so. My first case was for my Warmachine army, and it currently holds all my warjacks as well as serveral of my solos and warcasters. Pics below:

Front - Outside of Case

Back - Outside of Case

Inside Cover - Back

Inside Cover - Front

Inside of Case (covers removed)

Inside of Case - Front (covers and "packing foam" removed)

This was the first case I made, so it was a challenge to design the covers and everything without any pre-done measurements. Not the prettiest looking job ever, but it serves its purpose. This stores everything I would need for a general battle, but then I also have two other cases for transport separate from this (not made by me).

The second group of pictures below is the one I just made for my World of Warcraft Miniatures set. Pics below:

Outside of Case - Laying Flat

Inside of Case - Over View

Inside of Case - Front View

Outside of Case - Standing

The nice thing about this case is that the minis are more easily viewed, better spaced, and they stay put 100% even if you stand the case up (as seen above). The downside of course being that it only works if I put the holding foam on one half of the case, so it holds only half the amount of minis. No worries though, I don't plan on owning more WoW Minis than the case can hold anyways.

Like I said, $15 and a few hours work - definitely cheaper and more creative than store bought. But then again, you could buy pre-made and spend your time painting Warmachine minis instead. :razz:

"If you don't like something, hit it.
:boxing:
If it hits back, shoot it.
:leftfighter4: :halfrobot:
If it's still moving - RUN."

:eeeeek: => :transformer:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:03 am 
Adventure Sage
Adventure Sage

So I remember that boathouselooper uses the ARMYTRANSPORT cases... What does everyone else use?

P.S. - Thanks to whichever admin that moved this post to the right forum! ;)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:17 am 
Polyhedral Underground Master

What type of gamer are you?: Card
I have one Army Transport from Sabol cases. It's very nice. :)

That doesn't hold all my minis, though. The rest are in those Sterlite (sp?) tubs with home made cutouts similar to Elrics.

Robert: Um, Robert Unwin
Simon: And what do you do?
Robert: I work at a chicken factory.
<Silence>
Simon: .....Good....

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:42 am 

Space Hulk gets the big ol' Plano tackle box. It holds two complete games worth of equipment plus 40 extra terminator marines (enough for my 10 man Space Hulk event).

My Cryx War Machine minis got the Rook steel briefcase I was saving for a special, but not huge mini collection. Never had so many unpainted mini's been so protected.

The rest of the collections are in everything from Cisco padded phone boxes, various tackle boxes, various 'mini' containers, game boxes, tin coffee cans, and check book boxes. Pretty much anything that was laying around when I needed a container.

...what's with that?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:57 pm 
Fierce Competitor
Fierce Competitor

What type of gamer are you?: Minatures
Game Collection: http://
BHL, you said you have the Army Transport from Sabol Designs. According to their web site, the Army Transport comes with two 2.5-inch thick trays, six 1-inch trays and a 1/4-inch top sheet. Do you find the 2.5-inch trays deep enough to hold heavy warjacks? And are the 1-inch trays deep enough to hold a normal 28mm figure? Warmachine bases are wider than normal bases because of that rounded edge.

Atom Smashing - My personal gaming blog
http://atomsmashing.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:35 pm 

atom wrote:
BHL, you said you have the Army Transport from Sabol Designs. According to their web site, the Army Transport comes with two 2.5-inch thick trays, six 1-inch trays and a 1/4-inch top sheet. Do you find the 2.5-inch trays deep enough to hold heavy warjacks? And are the 1-inch trays deep enough to hold a normal 28mm figure? Warmachine bases are wider than normal bases because of that rounded edge.

I'll have to measure them when I get home. The War Store used to have a Warmachine / Sabol deal in which the trays were geared toward Warmachine. I believe I have a thicker tray than 2.5 inches, but I'll have to check it. My Warjacks all stand on the bases and only my infantry figures need to lay flat.

I'll get back to you on this.

<Silence>

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:40 pm 

The largest trays I have are 4". I would recommend these for the Khador 'jacks. All my Heavy 'jacks are in this tray. The 1.5" trays hold my infantry and the 2" trays hold the light 'jacks. Most of those are standing up.

Good stuff. :)

<Silence>

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:24 am 
Fierce Competitor
Fierce Competitor

Ah, so you have them 'standing up'. Gotcha. However, if I didn't mind my warjacks laying down, then the standard 2.5-inch deep pieces would probably work for the 'jacks, according to my measurements here. Hmmm. I my have a purchase in my future.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:05 am 
Adventure Sage
Adventure Sage

I would say 90% of the 'jacks would fit in the 2.5" trays laying down. However, there will occasionally be some of the 'jacks with weapons or whatnot posed in a way that it will stick above the 2.5". For example, the Guardian 'jack for Menoth has a spear pointed up at at angle that sticks above even the 3" foam I used.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:02 am 

I bought an extra 4" deep tray to put my large warbeasts for my Legion of Overpower army. I think it was like, $8 or something. I like them standing up but it's just a personal preference.

I worry that if they lay down, the weight of the mini might weaken arm or weapon joins.

<Silence>

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:10 am 
Fierce Competitor
Fierce Competitor

boathouselooper wrote:
I worry that if they lay down, the weight of the mini might weaken arm or weapon joins.

Hmm. I will have to ponder. In theory, the Khador warjacks that I have should be able to lay on their backs and then they won't be resting on their arms, so that shouldn't be an issue. Hopefully.

I'll probably pull the trigger this week or next. I just wish they had a smaller case, as I will feel silly putting my measly 500 point army in a big honkin' fancy case.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:16 am 

atom wrote:
I just wish they had a smaller case, as I will feel silly putting my measly 500 point army in a big honkin' fancy case.

Pfffft. You can put your dice in there, tape measure, rule books, area of effect templates, etc. I'll help you fill it up. :wink:

<Silence>

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:20 am 
Fierce Competitor
Fierce Competitor

boathouselooper wrote:
Pfffft. You can put your dice in there, tape measure, rule books, area of effect templates, etc. I'll help you fill it up. :wink:

Speaking of you helping, I dropped the Butcher warcaster I bought from you and bent the bottom of his axe handle and tried to slowly (oh so slowly) bend it back, but it snapped anyway. Stupid pewter. So, I'm gonna have to pin him, no biggie.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:37 am 

You could email Privateer Press and see if they'll send you one.

I know they sell parts, too. OR, you could file it down, then pin it back together and fill the gap with green stuff. It's a pain in the butt, but I've done that before with a Cygnar model that arrived with a broken weapon.

<Silence>

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:14 pm 
Adventure Sage
Adventure Sage

boathouselooper wrote:
You could email Privateer Press and see if they'll send you one.

I know they sell parts, too. OR, you could file it down, then pin it back together and fill the gap with green stuff. It's a pain in the butt, but I've done that before with a Cygnar model that arrived with a broken weapon.

Yeah, I've bought parts from them before prior to finding out they send them for free if you email the company about a broken piece. #-o

In terms of lying the Warmachine mini's on their backs... Generally I haven't had many problems, only one in fact. There is a heavy 'jack called Reckoner that has one small joint connecting the top half to the bottom half. After being carried around for a few months in the carrying case I built, he did come "disconnected". However, 2 minutes and hobby super glue had him fixed up. I generally bring glue with me everywhere that the minis go, simply because there is always a small part here or there that might fall off at some point.

If you have the room, then standing your figures is the best option. I simply didn't have enough room in my cases to have the minis standing up and still fit two full trays in there.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:57 pm 

One thing I do with heavy joints and smaller joints if it won't show is use green stuff putty along with super glue. Super glue has excellent bonding power but can get brittle and snap.

I'll generally drill out a joint with a pin vise, then fill the gap with green stuff putty. I use super glue to join the two parts and hold them together while the green stuff cures. This has worked very well for me and I would guess many of my models could withstand a drop from several feet. I haven't tried that though, as I'm too risk averse!

But pinning and green stuff, great combo. Another option is to get that two part epoxy resin. That stuff takes forever to setup, though, so you have to have a way for the parts to remain joined while it dries. I've used similar stuff on VOR minis way back when I first got into miniatures. That stuff is ultimate. I had some mixture that basically turned into steel. I think my Razorback Growler Bull has a stronger joint than the solid parts of the model after using that stuff. I had do think of some crazy banding and leaning to get him to stay put while it dried, though.

<Silence>

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:21 am 
Fierce Competitor
Fierce Competitor

boathouselooper wrote:
I've used similar stuff on VOR minis way back when I first got into miniatures.

Speaking of which, my VOR starter box still in shrink showed up today (finally) from eBay. I was getting concerned, because it had been a really long time since I had paid. I may open it up tonight.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:34 am 

atom wrote:
Speaking of which, my VOR starter box still in shrink showed up today (finally) from eBay. I was getting concerned, because it had been a really long time since I had paid. I may open it up tonight.

VOR is still my all time favorite minis game. I have an awesome Zykhee force that I'll battle against any other force. Of course, my old opponents would cry "Cheese!" everytime one my Soulless thwomped him. :lol:

<Silence>

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:56 pm 
Gaming God
Gaming God

Elric wrote:
simply because there is always a small part here or there that might fall off at some point.

Okay, I'm missing something here. Yes, I am bored and reading these, too. Now isn't it normal for Zombie minis to lose parts?

I just go where I'm told. Hell is a frequent location.
Yid