Polyhedral Underground - Wisconsin Gaming Group

Wisconsin Gaming Group - Oshkosh - NE Wisconsin
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:13 pm 
Gaming God
Gaming God

boathouselooper wrote:
Superhawk2300 wrote:
To raise funds you minis-homos could paint people's minis for them. I'd pay a few bucks a mini to get some key boardgame minis painted!

To that end, and since you brought it up, I think the word "gay" should be prominent in your groups title. You wouldn't want anyone who was just 'bi for minis' or 'hetro for minis' showing up trying to get all metro on you.

How about "Rainbow Allied with Warmathingy" or RAWW, which is what you get when you get all gay with Warmathingy..........tiger, MeeeOoooW!

WTF?

The bottom part may be a funny bit, but nothing could be more serious about the top line!

I need my mini's painted! None of you mini junkies are needing a fix? Cold hard cash to spend on new mini's for just a little paint job......can start with something small, lets say, Touch of Evil. If I had the time/patients/skill/know-how I'd be painting mine and eveyone else's for a couple bucks each! Seriously there has to be a huge market for something like this.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:59 am 
Polyhedral Underground Master

Location: Stuck in the mud at the Rocketville paintball field.
What type of gamer are you?: RPG
See, the trouble is, I think if anyone had enough free time to paint for others, they would spend that time getting their OWN mini's finished...

It is a cold hard fact that if a mini gamer ever has more painted figures in their house than unpainted, their brains will explode. I know a guy it happened to once.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:11 am 

Superhawk2300 wrote:
Seriously there has to be a huge market for something like this.

There is. The professional mini painters that I have spoken to are sooo busy, they don't have time to game.

Of coarse there is that part where it makes you go blind after the 20,000 mini painted...

...what's with that?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:41 pm 
Adventure Sage
Adventure Sage

What type of gamer are you?: Computer
Superhawk2300 wrote:
The bottom part may be a funny bit, but nothing could be more serious about the top line!

I need my mini's painted! None of you mini junkies are needing a fix? Cold hard cash to spend on new mini's for just a little paint job......can start with something small, lets say, Touch of Evil. If I had the time/patients/skill/know-how I'd be painting mine and eveyone else's for a couple bucks each! Seriously there has to be a huge market for something like this.

SuperChicken,

Next time you are in town here let me know, and we can work something out.

"If you don't like something, hit it.
:boxing:
If it hits back, shoot it.
:leftfighter4: :halfrobot:
If it's still moving - RUN."

:eeeeek: => :transformer:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:55 pm 

I would also pay to get some minis painted. Plus I am on-board for the rival gang fights.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:38 pm 

Harbinger wrote:
Plus I am on-board for the rival gang fights.

You say that now!

Do you really think those new glasses of yours will protect your nipp... um, I mean your eyes? Huh? Do ya?

And don't think that Ninjujitsu wife of yours will protect you either.

I'm just saying... :-$

...what's with that?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:15 pm 
Gaming God
Gaming God

Sweet!

We all know how I like to tease the minis crowd, but seriously, if I was any good at painting I'd put something on the geek - I bet even the semi-skilled painter could make a good buck on a regular basis painting people's minis! I think there is a huge call for it from time-strapped talentless people like me who are plain sick and tired of having to examine their board game minis to figure out "which one am I" every time they open a game up.

I am sure it wouldn't make millions, but Id love to make a little side cash doing something I love anyways....

You can keep your gang fights, I don't look good in tight jeans with the legs rolled up and cuffed.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:06 pm 
Fierce Competitor
Fierce Competitor

What type of gamer are you?: Minatures
Game Collection: http://
I know that there are plenty of places online that provide miniature painting services. http://www.paintedfigs.com is one that I have looked at extensively but just never pulled the trigger on. I know they'll do boardgame pieces, too, like for Descent.

There's a guy here in town named Sam. He works at the Committed in Skin tattoo parlor on the 400 block of North Main. He won a bronze in the Golden Demon competition at Games Workshop's Games Day Chicago this year. I know he's thinking about starting a minis painting service, too.

Atom Smashing - My personal gaming blog
http://atomsmashing.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:59 pm 
Fierce Competitor
Fierce Competitor

Well, now I've slightly changed my thinking about the naming and structure of the club. This comes, of course, from me watching the History Channel. They have a show called Gangland that usually talks about one of two types of gangs: urban street gangs or motorcycle gangs. I have no idea why, but any time I channel surf past that show and they're talking about biker gangs, I have to stop and watch. Weird.

Anyway, so I was watching one a few nights back and the guys in the club were all wearing these vests with the name of the club (which I now forget) with different patches on the bottom of the vests for the chapter they were in. The chapter was their city or region. So that got me thinking that maybe working the name of the city (Oshkosh) or region (Fox Valley) into the name of this new group would be too limiting, down the road. So now I'm thinking of a new name, I guess.

What do you guys think? Rather than starting one group for all of the Fox Valley region, would it be better to start the group the the idea that it will eventually spread out, and be more granular?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:55 am 

OH, OOoooohhh, naming convention!

I'll be back!

Bwaahahahahahhahaha!

...what's with that?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:14 am 

I don't know. There are so many groups all over the place for mini gaming. How far do you plan for it to spread? I think localizing is perfectly acceptable.

[insert "my 2 cents" emoticon]

Off topic...the ones that always catch me when channel surfing are those STUPID fishing shows. There's a new one called Swords, where the Swordfish on the Grand Banks... I watched for three hours the other day, and it was SOOOO stupid. The life and death commentary, the ominous music.... sure it was a shark, but it was only 3 feet long....no one's "Life was on the Line!" as the subtitle of the show says...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:15 am 

Ooh, he will be back, and with a really long list too. He's good.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:25 am 

What type of gamer are you?: Card
Skittlebrau wrote:
I don't know. There are so many groups all over the place for mini gaming. How far do you plan for it to spread? I think localizing is perfectly acceptable.

He's dreaming big - I say let the man dream!

--
I can't pass up a show on WWII, as cliche as it is. Actually, the History channel and History International are about the only two channels I watch. I think I should have been a History major instead of an English major.

Robert: Um, Robert Unwin
Simon: And what do you do?
Robert: I work at a chicken factory.
<Silence>
Simon: .....Good....

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:42 am 
Gaming God
Gaming God

boathouselooper wrote:
Skittlebrau wrote:

He's dreaming big - I say let the man dream!
--
I can't pass up a show on WWII, as cliche as it is. Actually, the History channel and History International are about the only two channels I watch. I think I should have been a History major instead of an English major.

I agree, always limit the bottomend, never limit your top end - you never know what changes are in store in the future. I am a big believer in what happens to me is often a result of what I expect to happen to me. If he limits his thinking to locally, even with something as small as a name, it might cramp his future opportunities.

When I took over the Milwaukee Meetup group, there were scarcely 20 active members out of a hundred total members, a big event was less than a dozen people, adn the group was basically dying and on life support. With a few opportunistic thoughts, a year later I got over 200 members more than half active, and a normal event is 3 times what it was before, in attendence and quality.

Aim high brother!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:26 am 
Fierce Competitor
Fierce Competitor

Skittlebrau wrote:

It's not that I want to immediately spread it out and go huge. I'm not that kind of 'big picture' guy, usually. I just don't want to paint the club into a corner by naming it something too regional.

My ultimate future idea is to allow it to spread, if there's interest. There would be a main messageboard for all the groups eventually so if you have some very specific game that you're interested in, even if you can't convince someone in the Fox Valley to play it with you, you might be able to find some guys to play with in Milwaukee, Madison or Green Bay.

If it doesn't spread, that's fine, too. I just want it give it the chance to do so.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:40 am 

Superhawk2300 wrote:

When I took over the Milwaukee Meetup group, there were scarcely 20 active members out of a hundred total members, a big event was less than a dozen people, adn the group was basically dying and on life support. With a few opportunistic thoughts, a year later I got over 200 members more than half active, and a normal event is 3 times what it was before, in attendence and quality.

Aim high brother!

But, it's still called the MILWAUKEE Meet-up group, so I guess epic fail for you then. Maybe that's why no one north of West Bend makes it to your game days, we all feel left out of the naming convention. \:D/

Look, I bet a quick search will net you a few thousand miniature gaming clubs in the US alone. National groups are big bulky and funded. Sure they are great for information and learning, but when you want to PLAY the game, you still have to find some guys locally. If I am new to the Fox Valley, and trying to find a warhammer game, I'm not going to go to "Worldwide War Worx!!!", but I would for sure check out "Fox Valley Tabletop Minatures Game Club".

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:07 pm 
Fierce Competitor
Fierce Competitor

Man, I wish there were a few thousand miniature gaming clubs in the US. Then I wouldn't have to try and start one around here, I'd just join whichever one I liked best and sit back and reap the benefits. Whatever they might be. Wargaming clubs seem to be huge in England, but I started doing research and couldn't find too many around here.

I started looking for groups around here first, and didn't find much. There's a small club here in town called The Admiralty. A few of the guys have come to OshCon in the past, and are scheduled to run some stuff again this year. I asked them about their club, and they said they mostly played naval games (hence the name of the club) and they all smoked while they played, so if you don't like smoking, that's too bad. So I wasn't super-interested in either of those things, but they seem like good guys. There's also a small club up in Green Bay that's based out of Gnome Games. They're mainly all historicals. Again, not my area of interest and I don't want to have to drive to Green Bay to game. I know people play at both Chimera locations, but I've never really come across a 'club' per se up there, so that's all I got.

I guess mainly I don't want to add a regional indicator into the name of the group so we don't limit ourselves in the long run. This group is called Polyhedral Underground, not Polyhedral Underground of the Fox Valley or something along those lines. I want this club to start local, but if it ever gets bigger (and by bigger I mean maybe we get a chapter in Appleton or Green Bay or even Madison some day) then I don't want to be hamstrung by the name, or have to change the name later, which is a pain in the ass. I guess that's my reasoning on that.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:21 pm 

Hey atom, it's your baby you do it your way. i wasn't trying to stop that. My response was mostly directed to those, that rather than suggest something, took more time telling me I was an idiot for thinking that a regional name was OK. I am just trying to help you guys, not hinder in any way.

Would a Wisconsin based name be large enough for you? Wisconsin Association of Miniature Gaming? WAM G!!!!

How about Metal Crushers? wink wink.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:46 pm 

Here we go. Busy day, so not much yet.

Rival Gaming Suggestions

Rival Gaming Club – Nuf said.

Evil Genius Table Gamers – Would you join a group called *Nice Genius Table Gamers*?
(or replace Genius with Twin)

Nemesis Gaming Organization – Need players? We’ll be there!

Leaded Tabletop Maneuvers – Who-all remembers lead miniatures?!?

Zombie Table Game Coop – Recycling minis is a no-brainer.

Figurative Competitors – It’s all how you look at us.

Mini Generals – We’re like the real thing, just a lot more portable.

Bare Metal Brigades – Paint optional.

Tiny Soldier Recreationals – Riding the search engine wave!

Luggable Legions – Keeping the tackle box industry alive for over forty years.

Caste System Gaming – Everything Leed, Pyooter or Plastik.

Post-Molten Reconnaissance – Don't Ask.

D21 Mini Game Group - We're odd that way.

...what's with that?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:54 pm 

See? He's good.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next