Polyhedral Underground - Wisconsin Gaming Group

Wisconsin Gaming Group - Oshkosh - NE Wisconsin
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:48 am 
Fierce Competitor
Fierce Competitor

Game Collection: http://adventgeekgirl.blogspot.com/p/bl ... _5912.html
I have a small group of kids who come in to game that are not actually interested in the games. It's more of a socializing hideaway for them. I want them to play or find a game to play, but they don't seem to be interested in most of the games I have in the classroom. They try to play werewolf in 3-people to make it look like they're playing, but. . . well. . . it doesn't really do anything playing that way.

They don't like word games (like Unspeakable Words), because they feel it's too hard to make 3-letter-words. #-o

They don't like Tsuro, because they don't want to understand the strategy behind the game. [-(

If Tsuro is too challenging, just imagine Settlers, Forbidden Island/Desert, and Fluxx. So even introducing something like Bazaar or Blockus would not go over well.

They aren't into the RPGs or the Munchkin/NinjaBurger type of card games.

So. . . what do you offer Pre-Teens who just want to be in socializing but want to game? I don't want to kick them out of the club, because I still feel like there's something out there for them. At the same time, if they're not interested in even giving the games a chance, game club might not be the place for them and they need to move on. So I'm trying to make a last chance attempt at finding something to offer them. It feels more like they want to play go-fish or Uno, but we aren't focusing on those games in the club.

Recommendations. . . please. . . please help. . . :help:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:32 pm 
Gaming God
Gaming God

Do you allow party games? Games like Apples to Apples, Dixit, Telestrations, or Time's Up do not always go over well with the hard core gamers, but many kids seem to like them.

And you may not have the funds or the space, but dexterity games could be fun. Such as Crokinole, pitchcar, or tumblin dice. But these 3 take up space & are expensive. But there are some pretty cheap options like Jenga or some of the new Angry Birds dexterity games that might fit the bill.

Otherwise, some of the simplest games are dice games such as LCR or Zombie Dice (aka Dino Hunt or Trophy Buck) or even a yahtzee variant may work.

Just some ideas of what I have seen the younger kids gravitate to over the years.

Cheers!

Edited ~~ to add Sorry Sliders as a great cheaper dexterity option & to add chinese checkers if there are 3 of them that wish to play together. When we had 3 as kids and checkers & chess were right out, we played chinese checkers a lot.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:19 pm 
Gaming God
Gaming God

Eric Holdridge wrote:
Do you allow party games? Games like Apples to Apples, Dixit, Telestrations, or Time's Up do not always go over well with the hard core gamers, but many kids seem to like them.

And you may not have the funds or the space, but dexterity games could be fun. Such as Crokinole, pitchcar, or tumblin dice. But these 3 take up space & are expensive. But there are some pretty cheap options like Jenga or some of the new Angry Birds dexterity games that might fit the bill.

Otherwise, some of the simplest games are dice games such as LCR or Zombie Dice (aka Dino Hunt or Trophy Buck) or even a yahtzee variant may work.

Just some ideas of what I have seen the younger kids gravitate to over the years.

Cheers!

LRC = drinking game. I have Trophy Buck Next to the kitchen table. It is a dueling game at our house. Some families walk ten paces and draw weapons, where we have game challenges. It is a quick and painless game, but with a slight fun element. For clarification, a drinking game to me is any game that doesn't require much thought. Beer and pretzel games seem like they'd go over well. I'd make it root beer and pretzels. What did these kids play at the convention? Sometimes, they need adult guidance learning a game. I prefer to learn a game from someone that already knows it instead of trudging through the rules. ](*,)

I just go where I'm told. Hell is a frequent location.
Yid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:07 pm 
Polyhedral Underground Master
Polyhedral Underground Master

Location: Stuck in the mud at the Rocketville paintball field.
What type of gamer are you?: RPG
Eric is basically the resident rules lawyer, so his recommendations could be considered well researched.

Yid IS basically an adult child. So his advice is probably pretty accurate. :-"

Also, if you haven't seen it yet, watch this video I'm linking below. It is focused on using gaming as a lesson plan, but maybe this can present some suggestions, and a new angle to try with these kids. Incorporating some of their other classroom work into the gaming club, by way of linked knowledge. If they are working on a certain subject in class, they might be MORE interested in a game that is related to it, without even realizing it. "This game is about buying and selling stocks and companies? We JUST learned about that this week in class!" for example...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjnP8qjGLwI

Edit: I have a copy of his handout from this stuck somewhere... I'll try to find it...

One more idea: Find out what they WANT to play. What I mean is, find out what things interest them. They like robots? Robo Rally! They like Cowboys? Dice Town! They like car racing? Formula D! You can find a game to match almost ANY theme, so rather than try to fit the kids into a game, fit a game into the kids!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:54 pm 
Gaming God
Gaming God

I work in a variety of classrooms. I have suggested different games that go along with the curriculum being covered. The teachers all though it was great idea.

What people don't understand is how strapped for time teachers are during their year. With the "common core" now in popularity, it is a real struggle to get anything like this to become common place. We had five minutes shaved off of every class per day. It makes a huge difference. Just added this year was for every subject area to have students do major research papers. Yes, 5+ paragraph papers for P.E. class. Fun! Don't quote me on how often, but it is killing the clientele I work with. I am quite overloaded with helping kids with their thesis statements, research, citations etc. So, not to put a poo poo on your parade, but things like this only have a place after school in our district.

However, we did have a half day during homecoming where I ran Memoir 44 Overlord and other staff did things that students could sign up for. It was a huge success for me. To be honest, most staff have been burned out by the constant changes and mandates placed upon us and were not interested in providing and preparing for "one more thing." This might be a different story where you are at and your level.

I just go where I'm told. Hell is a frequent location.
Yid