Polyhedral Underground - Wisconsin Gaming Group

Wisconsin Gaming Group - Oshkosh - NE Wisconsin
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:22 pm 
Adventure Sage
Adventure Sage

Game Collection: http://
I know I'm a little late in joining the discussion, but here's my own 2 cents.

I've played two D&D 4th edition sessions with a local game group here in Sheboygan. The game is similar enough to previous D&D editions that character creation did not take extraordinarily long. Since the system makes great use of earning and learning powers (at-will, encounter, daily) it makes it very easy for new or veteran players to know what they can and can't do and won't be overwhelmed with details. Our DM did everything he could to make record-keeping and referencing as efficient as possible so the focus of our game sessions was on playing out the adventure and not flipping pages. Again, the "powers" system lends itself to more efficient game play. Our DM printed up all the character's powers on cards so everyone was holding a hand of cards, making it easy-to-reference what special things their characters could do. (I believe WOTC has some downloadable .pdf files for this)

I think the biggest difference between 4th edition and previous editions (like 1st and 2nd) is that the amount of referencing and record-keeping is reduced, not the amount of complexity or options. Which I see as a good thing. Again, it puts the focus on the exciting play of the game, not the time wasted looking things up or life wasted committing every rule and table to memory.

Overall, however, it's not the game system that makes the role-playing experience fun, it's the people you play with.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:44 am 
Polyhedral Underground Master

Location: Stuck in the mud at the Rocketville paintball field.
What type of gamer are you?: RPG
Crap crap crap crap. Now I'm gonna have to buy the books. You guys know that right?
you all suck. I WAS gonna take my wife out for a fancy dinner, or buy a Carbon Fiber barrel for my paintball gun ... but NOOOOOO you guys have to keep talking about 4th Ed. and now I have to go get it.

[-(

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:09 am 
Fierce Competitor
Fierce Competitor

Easy solution SB: Buy the books, buy your wife some cheetos and mountain dew, have a nice romantic evening slaying orcs, and then use the books as shields for paintball. It's win-win!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:04 pm 

Oberon wrote:
Our DM printed up all the character's powers on cards so everyone was holding a hand of cards, making it easy-to-reference what special things their characters could do. (I believe WOTC has some downloadable .pdf files for this)

I'm glad to hear your DM did this for you. However, this is probably WotC's biggest failing as far as the play goes: they don't have powers cards as files for download. The community has stepped in and several people have made some really nice sets. I can't for the life of me see why they wouldn't do this (after all they are letting other people do it).

At the start it could really be a pain having to write out your powers. Of course, if everyone owned a PHB, or had played it a number of times it wouldn't be as bad and after the start you only get one per level so it isn't a huge problem. Still, disorganization of your powers would be a hinderence to smooth play.

The site I'm going to use is http://dndpowercards.com
Again, just a few guys doing it in their spare time and it's awesome. I can't wait until they get around to adding feats and class specials (probably next week).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:35 pm 
Adventure Sage
Adventure Sage

Game Collection: http://
I really liked the power-card reference aid. The "At-Will" powers we just kept face up on the table. The "Encounter" and "Daily" powers got turned face-down when they were used and flipped back face-up at the end of the encounter or day.

I have a warlord character and at first many of my "At-Will" powers seemed unimpressive. "When the hell am I ever going to use THAT?" But as we played out the combat encounters it was fun learning how the combat system worked, how other player's powers worked, and then thinking of ways that we could use character powers in a combo.

One of the warlord powers is called "Wolf-Pack Tactics" (or something like that) which allows me to shift an ally next to me or my target one square. My first game session I just dismissed this power as useless until the last combat when I learned that the rogue in the party has a power that does massive damage in a flank attack. My "shift" power combined with her standard 1-square shift move and her flank attack power worked to great effect. Second session we used this to take down many foes.

And that's another thing I like about 4th edition. First level and I started with 27 hit points! They really increased the hit point totals in 4th edition. This includes the monsters too so it balances out. In previous D&D editions, if first or second level characters have a bad round of combat, you could feasibly loose half the party! 4th edition is more forgiving. According to our DM the encounters are easier to scale to the size of the party so we still made it through most encounters by the skin of our teeth with a character or two down. But with more hit points and weapon damage staying pretty much the same, it was easier to recover from one round of bad dice-rolling.

I must emphasize for any purists that the "powers" do not dictate what your character can or can't do any more than class and racial abilities from previous editions. It's just a different naming convention and an easier mechanic to use them that's consistent from class to class. This is still a role-playing game, so if you still want to leap from a balcony while shooting a rope with an arrow and land on an Orc that you body-surf down the stairs....you can still do that! You will probably fail horribly....but you can STILL DO THAT!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:47 am 

Seripmav wrote:

Soooo, when are you running a game?? I am totally there. Invited or not. \:D/

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:09 pm 

I currently have two little adventurers who have just rolled up characters (I'm having them meet at the Green Dragon Inn, get into a bar brawl, save the [strike]wench[/strike] hostess from giant rats in the cellar, discover the tunnel that leads into the catacombs of the forgotten temple, fight a zombie, get the key, jump traps, escape into the dead of night on their way to the ruins on the other side of the mountain, taking short cuts through goblin tunnels, where they'll have to find the magic stone that can save their village. Any and all played out, stolen, hacked, or cliche, storylines are going into this one. That reminds me, I need to put a cave behind a waterfall in there someplace. They also wanted to fight demons (too much Warcraft) so if at the climactic BBEG battle you wanted to jump out from around the corner painted red and screaming with a huge sword in your hands that'd be pretty sweet. Well, if you helped pay for the psychologist anyway).

And seeing how the they begged me to play, and time being limited with homework and all, I'm trying to make learning it as easy as possible for them and me. So thats where the powercards are so nice.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:25 pm 
Gaming God
Gaming God

Skittlebrau wrote:
Seripmav wrote:

Soooo, when are you running a game?? I am totally there. Invited or not. \:D/

I'm with him. My many sided dice need some action. I'll need to play a simpler character though, like a virus or something.

I just go where I'm told. Hell is a frequent location.
Yid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:37 pm 

I have seen Yid role play.

I will say no more.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:41 pm 
Gaming God
Gaming God

Skittlebrau wrote:

I will say no more.

That is a first. You are mean and mean people suck. It was okay for you to use all your fancy toys, but I had to keep mine for a rainy day. Boo hoo to you, too. You're just mad because I almost killed you. Damn, and I had my chance, too. Maybe next time. :badgrin:

Yid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:23 pm 
Average Gamer
Average Gamer

Oberon wrote:
This is still a role-playing game, so if you still want to leap from a balcony while shooting a rope with an arrow and land on an Orc that you body-surf down the stairs....you can still do that! You will probably fail horribly....but you can STILL DO THAT!

Ugh, I can just imagine what it would be like being your DM. "Do an Athletics check on the jump, a Dexterity check on the shooting and an Acrobatics check on the landing on the orc."

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:53 pm 

Hey if it's LotR movies it's an automatic success as far as I'm concerned :lol:

Yid and Skit thanks for the offer to join in! I have a couple of folks not in PolyU who want to play and a couple of our group that already expressed interest to me awhile ago so I'm not sure how many of them will still want to once I actually get around to it. We'll have to see how schedules all work out.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:22 am 

Captain Yid wrote:
Skittlebrau wrote:

I will say no more.

That is a first. You are mean and mean people suck. It was okay for you to use all your fancy toys, but I had to keep mine for a rainy day. Boo hoo to you, too. You're just mad because I almost killed you. Damn, and I had my chance, too. Maybe next time. :badgrin:

Quite the contrary. It was not meant negative at all. I was jst pointing out that I have in fact seen you role play, so people shouldn't ignore your post as random mutterings like we normally do...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:52 am 

I'm in, dibs on the elf chick!

...what's with that?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:56 am 

dibs as in you want to be her....or as in you want to dibs all over her....

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:00 pm 

Oops, sorry, cross posting again.

Whatever works, for me that is.

...what's with that?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:14 pm 
Gaming God
Gaming God

Sorry SB for being a bad ass.

Seripmav, I understand that you'd rather have the 23 year old Hooter waitress over the 43 year old butt wiper.

Does anyone have anything that gets rid of dice rot?

Yid

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:20 pm 

Huh? I mean sure, but, huh?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:34 am 
Fierce Competitor
Fierce Competitor

One of the interesting things that WotC said they were going to do with this game was make it so it could be played online with friends... unfortunately it's not up and running yet. Would you guys be interested in something like that. Lemme just say that playing D+D all through high school and now having not gamed in a long time has REALLY made me want to play some D+D again. I don't know if they are eventually going to release an Eberron expansion for it.. or if Fantasy Flight will release a compatible Midnight, but I am excited.

I can say this, I'm not 100% comfortable with all the new rules, but I would be willing to run a game at some point. I don't tend to have a lot of combat in my campaigns which drives some people nuts.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:28 am 
Average Gamer
Average Gamer

We're using Maptool from RP Tools to play online right now. That combined with Skype so that we don't have to communicate entirely through text has worked pretty well.

I don't know how difficult it is to setup a campaign with this software. I can put you in touch with my DM if you would like. But the good news is that it's free, rather than the official tools, which I believe are going to require DND Insider membership, which is going to have a monthly fee once it's all up and running.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next