STAR WARS III

Movies, Books, Minstrels, Art, Anime. I said Anime, what more do you need?
Seripmav
Polyhedral Underground Master

STAR WARS III

#1 Post by Seripmav » Wed May 18, 2005 8:49 am

Have you guys heard about this?

Post your movie times and reviews here!

I am going with Gillian to the 4pm show in Oshkosh on Thursday. Bought my tickets online already. And because it's at 4 it's still the cheap price. WOOT!
I'm giving myself the Vulcan nerve pinch right now!

Guardtroll

#2 Post by Guardtroll » Wed May 18, 2005 11:04 am

111!

I havn't seen 110 yet! I better get to the video store.

Does this count as a post with substance? :)
Trolls exist!
They steal your socks. But only the left ones...

...what's with that?

Harbinger

#3 Post by Harbinger » Wed May 18, 2005 11:34 am

No, I haven't heard of this Star War movie you are talking about. Is is anything like Buckaroo Banzai? Now that is one cool sci fi movie!
Memoir wouldn't do that...

Seripmav

#4 Post by Seripmav » Wed May 18, 2005 11:36 am

I wonder how this will affect the Star Wars fan's "Universe". Part of SW mass appeal was the unknown. How does he become Darth Vader? What causes the need for a rebellion?

It's incompleteness spawned a million fantasies about what could, should, and might happen. I think that's why some people hate I and II. By completing the story, on some level their fantasies were shown to be "wrong" or at odds with SW; and the room for the imagination got smaller.

Now fan fiction will be intensified on the struggles that might have taken place between III and IV and maybe smaller timelines (the books cover things pretty well after VI I've heard). Thoughts?

Lartarin
Game Master
Game Master
What type of gamer are you?: Computer

#5 Post by Lartarin » Wed May 18, 2005 12:02 pm

I heard rumors of a TV series and movies after VI. It'll be interesting to see if either of those happen.
Figment of your Imagination

Seripmav

re: STAR WARS III

#6 Post by Seripmav » Thu May 19, 2005 8:28 am

The fan reviews are coming in and it sounds awesome! <gets woody>

Guardtroll

#7 Post by Guardtroll » Thu May 19, 2005 10:23 am

um, ewww...
Trolls exist!

...what's with that?

Harbinger

#8 Post by Harbinger » Thu May 19, 2005 10:51 am

:arcade: Hmmm, seems the sick emoticon does not work :-& :-&
Memoir wouldn't do that...

Guardtroll

#9 Post by Guardtroll » Thu May 19, 2005 11:15 am

Well a co-worker who just got in late, because he overslept, was at the midnight show. Hmmm.

Anyway, when asked about the movie, he said he left the theatre with a sense of "completeness".

Well, What a bill of goods I was handed. Bought it hook, line and sinker... Wife, family, career, friends. All I had to do was wait for SW III, and then kill myself.

Completeness... Freak!
Trolls exist!

...what's with that?

Seripmav

#10 Post by Seripmav » Fri May 20, 2005 10:02 am

He sounds like someone that would fit right in with us.

BTW, It made me complete too!

Seripmav

#11 Post by Seripmav » Fri May 20, 2005 11:21 am

This was posted by Fear, in another forum:

Do you fight for your loved ones, or your ideals?
Do you choose your duty over your direct decision of what's right?
Do you trust your friends or trust yourself?
Do you fight for survival of yourself and your loved ones/friends, over fighting for what's 'right' according to dogma?
Do you fight against democracy when you feel it to be wrong (current democratic group specifically)? If so, at what point is it tryanny, and at which point is that wrong?
Do you trust your peers when they do not trust you?
When two of your friends go opposite ways, who do you side with?

These are the problematic questions that Anakin, and the entire SW galaxy, faces in this film (and the others to some extent).

Anakin is born from the Force, immaculately concieved. He is OF the force, destined to do great things.
He learned from his mother that 'the problem with the galaxy is that nobody cares about anybody else anymore' and uses that logic to make a choice; stay with his mother (the only family/life he has) or become a jedi. He chooses the latter.

Growing up with the Jedi, he learns all about their dogma, their creed, their ideals and hopes. He does his best in all things.

His falls in love, which he is constantly told is wrong.
He wants revenge for his mothers death. Wrong again.
He wants to take initiative, to rise in power to fight for what he believes in. Nope. Even when he succeeds, he's scolded.

"Listen to us" "Jedi don't do that" Yet he sees them doing these things. He feels wrong, conflilcted when he goes against a Jedi rule, yet see's other doing it when they think it's 'for the best', yet he cannot make that decision on his own?

Jedi council. Padame. Palpatine. Individual Jedi. Himself. His various forms of himself. Who do you listen to?

Throught the movie, you see Jedi kill others without trial, you see them lose faith in democracy, and no matter how right they may or may not be, you can't argue that siding with the Republic over the Jedi Council is a bad choice. Or siding with the Separatists for that matter (who merely wanted fair treatment from the republic in the first place, and are only fighting for peace now). Of course, these are all being manipulated by Palpatine, but all sides have their heroes, their wrongdoings, and their humanity.

This is what Ep III was about.

The light sabers, the clone troopers, the droids and the star destroyers, we can relate to those visually, we can make toys and costumes about them,

***but what the movie is REALLY about, is the fact that we ALL have desires/goals/ideals/beliefs, and there will always be conflict. We can only hope that those attempts we make on making things right, are not tainted by greed, jealousy, hate, and fear.***

Guardtroll

#12 Post by Guardtroll » Fri May 20, 2005 3:39 pm

I am glad that I am hearing a lot of good reports on SW III. But, I have a question for anyone here who has voiced an opinion on SW I and II. (Do not answer until you have seen the third film, I haven't yet either). I don't want to bother with a poll, just opinions.

Now assuming, whether you feel this strongly as this person does, or even liked SW III a little. How DID you feel about the first two films before, and do you feel differently now.

I feel sometime that I was the only person that liked the first two as they were, as part of a continuing story. They were vehicles getting you to this third film, and this is a space opera. Though there were some plot devices and hokie parts in the first film, it did it's job well. Besides, Liam more than made up for the silly frog that wouldn't stop following everyone around. But he and his race too served a purpose in the first film, that is, other than cannon fodder.

I will post my thoughts after I see the movie on Sunday.
Trolls exist!

...what's with that?

Seripmav

#13 Post by Seripmav » Fri May 20, 2005 4:23 pm

I liked them.
At first I didn't care for the acting (Liam aside of course) or the dialogue but I think the 3rd one rounds everything up nicely and makes the first 2 more important. People can complain about Lucas as a director but he is definately CONSISTANT and people can complain about his dialogue but his grasp of the subleties of human nature is well researched.

I wonder if we are so used to seeing the obvious reasons for a characters actions that when we come across something that is subtle we forget to think about it, or we're too lazy to notice. In the third one I was thinking, "Don't do it, don't do it... how the hell could you do that?!" But if you follow the Aniken character through the first 2 (like you should have been) the conclusion is really quite natural (especially if you put yourself in his shoes). He is set up to become Darth Vader from the outset (quite sad really). There is only so much that you can show in a 2 hr movie and hope that the audience gets it.

So anyway, I think it makes the first 2 better and finally brings them into the Star Wars fold as part of the complete story, and not this odd fragmented other chapter.

Seripmav

#14 Post by Seripmav » Mon May 23, 2005 7:49 pm

Just got done watching 4 - 6 on DVD.
You guys probably already knew this...
If you have them on dvd, at the very end of RotJ, when the spirit of Yoda, Obi wan, and Aniken are standing there - They replaced the original Aniken with Hayden Christensen! I never knew that! It totally gave me the shivers. That's completion! That's how to do it.

Seripmav

#15 Post by Seripmav » Wed Jun 08, 2005 12:47 pm

It sounded like everyone has had a chance to see it by now. What do some of you think about it?

Guardtroll

#16 Post by Guardtroll » Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:17 pm

(Approaches the soap-box while clearing his throat)...

One thing that they could have taken the time for would be a rough break-down of what a "Jedi Knight" was. The rules, the discipline, the sacrifice. A simple five or so minute series of flashbacks of a Jedi's life illustrating those aspects. The failures, personal victories, and even the mundane moments that may drive them.

I don't think by the third movie that there should have been quite as much secrecy to the whole order. I felt that this part of the story was little more than a plot device (ie, an easy way out) to save time in the film and to falsely add suspense and conflict to Anakin's decisions. It seamed like a one sided attempt to hide that our hero just didn't "get it", which right or wrong, he didn't.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the movie. I was just hoping the Jedi would have come more to light. It certainly would have held a deeper impact of their loss at the climax of the film. THAT would have made the "Obi-wan get's pissed" scene really explosive (maybe a micro version of that same flashback scene built into the fight to show his frustrations). But it does bring the whole space opera together really well. Can't wait fro the DvD.

IMHO
Trolls exist!

...what's with that?

Seripmav

#17 Post by Seripmav » Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:54 am

That's an interesting train of thought and I agree. Knowing more about them would have been very cool. Reading between the lines for 5 movies was enough - give us the straight juice on the Jedi and the Sith!

Though I suspect that Lucas is keeping with the theme that they are about ideals, something that could mean different things to everyone - and hence, leads to the struggle in Aniken.

Did anyone feel sorry for Aniken? I did, so I guess the story was successful.

Derf de Lear
Fierce Competitor
Fierce Competitor
What type of gamer are you?: RPG

#18 Post by Derf de Lear » Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:15 pm

I just watched it again. On a ... um ... dvd I ... uh ... found somewhere. Or something. I'm liking it more and more every time I watch it.

Anyway, check out: http://www.fieldofscenes.biz/

Ep. III will be at the outdoor in Freedom Aug. 3rd - 7th.

I remember seeing A New Hope and Empire at the outdoor. Just a damn cool way to see a movie.
WHAT IS BEST IN LIFE?
To crush your enemies, see them driven before you and to hear the lamentations of their women.

Seripmav

#19 Post by Seripmav » Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:26 am

Went to that theater a few weeks ago to see Madagascar with the family. We got there an hour after it opened (opens at 6:30) and the place was pretty crowded already (of course both movies were popular). Had to wait in line awhile to get popcorn, pizza, and soda. I think usually they don't have that size of a crowd. Plan on getting there within the first hour to get a nicer spot - which means you'll be there a couple hours before the movie actually starts.

Anyway, it was an interesting experience and would go back (the price is cheap! though they don't allow carry-ins). Ideally you'd have an open bed pick up with a pair of reclining lawn chairs in the back. Most people, with their suv's, park backwards and then open the back hatch. If someones hatch is up too high part of the screen will be blocked so bring a rope to tie yours down a little. Many people also had lawn chairs to sit in but I think the view probably wouldn't be as good.
And blankets and maybe pillows depending on how you set up. We put the back seats down and all laid down, but again, my kids are young and my suv is big.