Spamalot

Movies, Books, Minstrels, Art, Anime. I said Anime, what more do you need?
Lartarin
Game Master
Game Master
What type of gamer are you?: Computer

Spamalot

#1 Post by Lartarin » Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:46 pm

Monty Python and the Holy Grail has been made into a Musical and you can see it open in Chicago before it goes out to Broadway in New York.

Here is a bit of info stolen from another site:
Telling the legendary tale of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table and the quest for the Holy Grail, in song, "Monty Python's Spamalot" features a chorus line of legless knights, men in tights (with legs), killer rabbits and sexy dancing divas creating some of the most unforgettable musical production numbers you will ever see in the theatre on this evening! Directed by Tony and Academy Award-winner Mike Nichols and starring David Hyde Pierce ("Fraiser"), Tim Curry ("Rocky Horror Picture Show") and Hank Azaria ("The Simpsons"), this world premiere, pre-Broadway engagement features a book by "Python" Eric Idle, lovingly ripped off from the screenplay of the acclaimed "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" film with a new score featuring music and lyrics by Eric Idle and John Du Prez.
Looks like a great cast so far.

If you would like to purchase tickets 'Before' they go on sale to the General Public, head over to:
http://www.ticketmaster.com/venueartist/57402/927819

Pick the day. Choose your tickets in the 'Promotions and Special Offers' row and for the password use 'zoot' (without the '').

After ticketmaster takes their share, it costs about $90 a ticket for good seats or around $32 for balcony.
Figment of your Imagination

Seripmav
Polyhedral Underground Master

re: Spamalot

#2 Post by Seripmav » Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:48 pm

So how was it?
I'm giving myself the Vulcan nerve pinch right now!

Lartarin
Game Master
Game Master

#3 Post by Lartarin » Fri Dec 24, 2004 9:29 am

Getting there was a pain. Traffic in Chicago is bad, but traffic in Chicago before a Holiday is even worse. I gave myself an extra hour and I was still 15 min late for the show, so I missed a bit.

The show itself was great. It's really hard to even explain it. It of course revolved around the movie..a bit, but was in itself a show mocking broadway (a couple songs like 'This is the song that goes like this' where they start singing a soft love ballad because all broadway shows need to have one) and after they bring the shrubbery to the knights of Ni, the knights send them on a second challenge to put on a successful broadway show, but they know that it will fail since they don't have any Jews. So they break into a song about that. And Lancelot gets made into Dancealot where they break into a Gay dance number and at the end of the show ends up with Herbert, the prince of Swamp Castle and King Arthur ends up getting married to the lady of the lake, who ends up turning into Gwenavere(sp?) (because every broadway show has to have a wedding at the end). There were so many small things going on at once that you would almost have to see the show a couple times just to catch all the jokes.

If the show was closer, I would definately go and see it again.

Original Soundtrack coming soon. :)

Seripmav

#4 Post by Seripmav » Tue May 10, 2005 8:22 am

Hey this is really getting the awards! I would love to see Hank Azaria

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u ... ominations

Lartarin
Game Master
Game Master

#5 Post by Lartarin » Tue May 10, 2005 11:14 am

That's awesome! It was a great show, so hopefully it will win most of those.

Hopefully they'll do like The Producers did and start up a traveling show. Of course it won't be the same cast, but it would be great to see the show again.

The cast recording is also on sale now... I've listened to it like 20 times now.

Lartarin
Game Master
Game Master

#6 Post by Lartarin » Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:01 am

For those interested in seeing a small clip of Spamalot can head over to http://www.tonyawards.com/en_US/nominee ... malot.html

On the right side, above the "Knights on Broadway" picture, there is a link to see a Video Highlight from the show.

Lartarin
Game Master
Game Master

#7 Post by Lartarin » Fri Jun 03, 2005 2:50 pm

I just realized that a lot of the above clip is the "Brave Sir Robin" part and I think he's the only main character that isn't up for a Tony.

Seripmav

#8 Post by Seripmav » Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:50 am

Looks like it won 3, not bad.