Master Whedon's TV Series

Movies, Books, Minstrels, Art, Anime. I said Anime, what more do you need?
Elric
Adventure Sage
Adventure Sage
What type of gamer are you?: Computer

Master Whedon's TV Series

#1 Post by Elric » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:24 am

So, I just finsihed watching Season 1 and got caught up on Season 2 of Dollhouse. Thus far it has been good, especially with all of the Firefly / Battlestar Galactica actors that they keep bringing on the show. ;) The Season 1 Finale didn't seem to fit for me (don't worry, no spoilers here), but the plot of the show continues to move forward and seems very well written. Any of you seen this show?

Overall, I definitely like it better than Buffy or Angel, two of Joss Whedon's other series. That being said though, Firefly is still the best. =D>
- Elric / Silaence

"If you don't like something, hit it.
:boxing:
If it hits back, shoot it.
:leftfighter4: :halfrobot:
If it's still moving - RUN."

:eeeeek: => :transformer:

Skittlebrau
Polyhedral Underground Master
What type of gamer are you?: RPG
Location: Stuck in the mud at the Rocketville paintball field.

Re: Master Whedon's TV Series

#2 Post by Skittlebrau » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:12 pm

I refuse to watch the show, because as soon as I do, they will cancel it. It's the curse. So by not watching the show, I will ensure it's longevity, to at least 6 seasons.
I may not be perfect, but parts of me are pretty awesome.

Eric Holdridge
Gaming God
Gaming God

#3 Post by Eric Holdridge » Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:49 pm

CB/SB's curses notwithstanding, there is very little chance Dollhouse will last 6 seasons.

I also watch all the Joss shows and I am a big fan of his dating all the way back to when he worked as a writer on Roseanne.

That said, I would rank Dollhouse much differently than Elric and my wife would. She still loves it, and I am fairly done with it. I will continue to watch it through to the end though, since I think that there isn't that much left to endure. They have committed to run the 13 eps for season 2, but I don't hold out much hope that it will be renewed beyond that. The repeats of House episodes are getting better ratings.

It is unfair to compare Dollhouse to Buffy & Angel in my eyes since those two series were very well realized. No show with only 20 episodes is going to stand up to shows that last for seasons and seasons. I think a fairer comparison may be to Firefly, and there Firefly wins hands down. Though fewer epsidoes were produced of Firefly and the characters there skirted the edge of morality and at times likeability, the mythology of the show was early established and the characters were varied enough that everyone could find someone to root for or identify with.

With Dollhouse, the fact that many of the characters are emotionless cyphers and the ones who are not are horribly misguided and arguably evil means it is a hard sell. Add to that the pompous air of over-importance and the lack of humor that so punctuated the bubbles of BTVS & Angel & Firefly and you have a depressing show that is simply not that fun to watch.

However, the CEO still likes it, so it is just one man's opinion. But if I were to take a couple of the episodes this season (I am thinking of the episode where Dushku's character is programmed to be a "mom") and compare them to what I consider the worst episodes of BTVS (ie Beer Bad and Doublemeat Palace) I think BTVS still wins.

I think Dollhouse has no shortage of ideas and some pretty appealing actors, but I find my attention wavering and my heart sinking with most of the episodes. That said, I think we are one or two behind and maybe the arrival of River from Firefly will perk me up. I still hold out hope that it can have a satisfying conclusion, but the "doll-situation-of-the-week" is already tired for me.

Cheers!
Captain Yid wrote:I'm siding with Eric.

Never Knows Best
Fierce Competitor
Fierce Competitor

#4 Post by Never Knows Best » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:59 pm

Speaking of Whedon, this last weekend I saw Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog. Anyone else ever watch this? It is definitely different but ultimately I liked it and I hear he is making a sequel.

Elric
Adventure Sage
Adventure Sage

#5 Post by Elric » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:17 pm

Eric Holdridge wrote:With Dollhouse, the fact that many of the characters are emotionless cyphers and the ones who are not are horribly misguided and arguably evil means it is a hard sell. Add to that the pompous air of over-importance and the lack of humor that so punctuated the bubbles of BTVS & Angel & Firefly and you have a depressing show that is simply not that fun to watch.

I think Dollhouse has no shortage of ideas and some pretty appealing actors, but I find my attention wavering and my heart sinking with most of the episodes. That said, I think we are one or two behind and maybe the arrival of River from Firefly will perk me up. I still hold out hope that it can have a satisfying conclusion, but the "doll-situation-of-the-week" is already tired for me.

Cheers!
Interesting, thanks for your opinion.

For one, I definitely agree with you that Dollhouse is very lacking in the humor department - which imo was the best part of Firefly.

Regarding your plumeting interesting in the "doll-situation-of-the-week", I think there is both good and bad there. On one hand, I agree that each weeks "situation" is kind of wasteful because it very rarely contributes to the overall plot of the series. However, the thing I do like about it is that the situations at least bring some sort of resolution to each episode. I am definitely in favor of shows that have an overall plot but still some sort of ending to each one. For me, this is my biggest gripe with shows like Heroes and BSG. Yes they are great shows overall, but there are many episodes that are aired that really are pointless and accomplish nothing important. It drives me nuts to waste an hour of my time to watch a show that went nowhere. LOST also does the same thing sometimes, even to the point of major frustration of several seasons going by without giving an answer to something from the first season.

I'm hoping that Dollhouse eventually gets to the point where Echo somehow remembers all of her skills and knowledge from each assignment, and becomes some sort of super agent that makes all of the "doll-situations-of-the-week" worth while. It seems like the show occassionally foreshadows that this might happen down the road, but I guess we will have to wait and see. ;)
- Elric / Silaence

Harbinger

#6 Post by Harbinger » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:29 pm

Bryan Fuller is the producer of shows I can never watch again. His stuff always gets cancelled.
Memoir wouldn't do that...

Skittlebrau
What type of gamer are you?: RPG
Location: Stuck in the mud at the Rocketville paintball field.

#7 Post by Skittlebrau » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:39 pm

Dr Horrible. equals the best thing EVER watched by me..... )not counting Star wars, Indiana Jones, and firefly of course)
I may not be perfect, but parts of me are pretty awesome.

Eric Holdridge
Gaming God
Gaming God

#8 Post by Eric Holdridge » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:20 pm

I liked Dr. Horrible (not as much as the CEO) but what I really liked are the multiple commentary tracks and especially the one called "Commentary The Musical". In some ways that commentary track was more entertaining to me that the show itself.

But in terms of a sequel being worked on, I say bring it on. The little blurb they did at the Emmys was really funny and made me think that no matter what happened during the plot of Dr. Horrible (which I will not spoil) the *world* itself has some tales left to tell. I think Nathan Fillion and Doogie are very funny, so I hope they firm this up and release it sooner rather than later.

In other Joss news, he has signed on to direct an episode of Glee and he may direct another Office episode as well. He is a very talented guy.

Cheers!

Eric Holdridge
Gaming God
Gaming God

#9 Post by Eric Holdridge » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:45 pm

According to Herc @ Aintitcool:

"I am – Hercules!!

To the surprise of no one, Fox has cancelled Joss Whedon’s “Dollhouse.”

The network still intends to air the remaining 9 of the 13 season-two episodes ordered, the bulk of them in December.

Only the (still breathing) Brad Garrett sitcom “‘Til Death” gets worse primetime ratings on the channel. The sci-fi drama’s best second-season ratings were beaten by repeats of “House” and “Bones” over the last two Fridays."

Hopefully Joss still has time to craft an actual ending to the show.

Cheers!

Elric
Adventure Sage
Adventure Sage

#10 Post by Elric » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:53 am

Typical FOX, cancelling the shows that are worth watching and keeping "Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader" going forever. At least they can't stop House, because that show is just too much awesome to lose.
- Elric / Silaence

Captain Yid
Gaming God
Gaming God

#11 Post by Captain Yid » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:13 pm

Elric wrote:Typical FOX, cancelling the shows that are worth watching and keeping "Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader" going forever.
This show sucks. At least "Big Bang Theory" is still on.
The wheel is turning, but the hamster is dead.

I just go where I'm told. Hell is a frequent location.
Yid