Watchmen.

Movies, Books, Minstrels, Art, Anime. I said Anime, what more do you need?
Skittlebrau
Polyhedral Underground Master
What type of gamer are you?: RPG
Location: Stuck in the mud at the Rocketville paintball field.

Watchmen.

#1 Post by Skittlebrau » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:40 pm

Anyone going to see this with me opening night?

I WAS gonna have a sitter and take the wife, but now the two year old has Strep, and so we obviously aren't gonna do that.....

So anyone want to meet up for a show tomorrow?
I may not be perfect, but parts of me are pretty awesome.

Guardtroll

Re: Watchmen.

#2 Post by Guardtroll » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:37 pm

Isn't there a midnight show on tonight?

All you do is post at work anyway. :-$
Trolls exist!
They steal your socks. But only the left ones...

...what's with that?

Elric
Adventure Sage
Adventure Sage
What type of gamer are you?: Computer

#3 Post by Elric » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:50 pm

Wow, how dare he post while at work?! That's horrible!

<- At work.

I'm going to go see it tonight with some friends, should be interesting. A comic-book artist I know that is really into Watchmen (go figure) said it was very good but some parts felt a bit rushed when they tried to fit it all in. He did say though it was good enough to go see again the theatre, so that's a plus.
- Elric / Silaence

"If you don't like something, hit it.
:boxing:
If it hits back, shoot it.
:leftfighter4: :halfrobot:
If it's still moving - RUN."

:eeeeek: => :transformer:

Captain Yid
Gaming God
Gaming God

#4 Post by Captain Yid » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:34 pm

Ah, aren't you suppose to lock yourself up since your kid has Strep? You could be spreading it around since you have been...don't make me say it...exposed! Man, that did not feel right. :---)
The wheel is turning, but the hamster is dead.

I just go where I'm told. Hell is a frequent location.
Yid

Skittlebrau

#5 Post by Skittlebrau » Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:42 pm

It was amazing. Brilliant. Near to a perfect movie. Even my brother in law who hasn't read the comics, thought it was wonderful.

The costumes were SOOOO well done. the sets beautiful. It was amazing.

Eric Holdridge
Gaming God
Gaming God

#6 Post by Eric Holdridge » Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:59 pm

I wasn't sure when we would be able to go see it, since Shannon hadn't finished reading it yet as of yesterday at 5pm. However, she sat down and tore through the last two issues while I was running errands and by the time I got home at 6pm she had her coat and was ready to go "right now".

We missed the 6:30 show, but there was another one at 7pm, so we bought tickets early and got right in and got great seats.

All I can say is "wow". No spoilers from me, so you are safe to read on for general opinions only. One warning is that it is rated "R" and you can really see why. Not for kids and there were some that got into our theater, which was probably not appropriate.

For me it has been like twenty years coming to see an adaptation of this mini, and while it was not perfect, it really got to me and felt epic and profound.

I have no idea how anyone who hasn't read the series will enjoy it or even if they will fully understand it, but as Shan had just read it & I had finished re-reading it this week as well, it was fresh in our minds and we could catch all the little nods and the direct re-creation of moments and panels from the series. Not everything is the same, but (1) I don't think we hated the changes; (2) the omissions are understandable given the length of the original work, and (3) the couple of "added" things were actually really great.

Maybe this movie was only for already-existing fans of the story, but since I am one, it struck a nerve with me. Shannon and I were discussing the movie and its themes for quite some time afterward and as I am typing this, she is blogging about the series and the movie on her LJ. I think this is going to generate a lot of discussion amongst fans and maybe even among new-comers to the series.

All in all I can't wait to see it again. I also can't wait for the Black Freighter and Under the Hood companion DVD (coming out 03/24). And I especially cannot wait for the extended cut on DVD (fingers crossed). This will hopefully be a package to buy and keep and watch every year or two, like V for Vendetta and LOTR.

Cheers!
Captain Yid wrote:I'm siding with Eric.

Skittlebrau

#7 Post by Skittlebrau » Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:21 pm

Ditto to everything eric said.

The real reason I wanted another Watchmen fan, or at least someone who had READ the books, to go with me was to compare and discuss with them. I missed out on that since I could only see it with my Brother in law. (non comic book reader, no CLUE other than "the trailers look cool")

Good for you eric to have found a perfect someone!!

And yes, NOT for youngsters, the old couple near me that must have walked into the wrong theater, OR the 40 or so punks in our theater than constantly giggled at every big blue shlong.
(Not a spoiler, but Dr. Manhattan wears no clothes. And he is big, and blue, and is anatomically correct.)

Skittlebrau

#8 Post by Skittlebrau » Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:24 pm

One more thing...the opening credits sequence....was unique, beautiful, profound.....I STILL can't get it out of head how amazing it was.

Eric Holdridge
Gaming God
Gaming God

#9 Post by Eric Holdridge » Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:44 pm

Skittlebrau wrote:One more thing...the opening credits sequence....was unique, beautiful, profound.....I STILL can't get it out of head how amazing it was.
Agreed and great use of music for that sequence as well. Dylan and a lot of the other source material as quoted by Moore in the series was used where they could be and to great effect.

While watching that amazing opening, Shannon turned to me and said "I'm glad I read it". That is for sure, there would be so much you could miss or not understand in that sequence. I think the whole movie will reward re-watching, but I am especially excited to see that opening again.

Cheers!

Eric Holdridge
Gaming God
Gaming God

#10 Post by Eric Holdridge » Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:54 pm

Okay, normally I don't do this type of thing and leave it to CB/SB to try to embed a video, but this Watchmen spoof made me cry with laughter. And I rarely laugh anymore.

The creator imagines what a Watchmen cartoon would be like if the evil corporate uber-lords and the soulless marketing people got their grubby hands on this property and tried to make it into a Saturday morning cartoon, complete with an anthropomorphized animal companion and the theme song ("Jon can give you cancer")

It is pretty cool.

Okay, I am too stupid to embed this, so here is a link instead

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDDHHrt6l4w

Cheers!

Captain Yid
Gaming God
Gaming God

#11 Post by Captain Yid » Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:04 pm

So, I'm SB's brother-in-law? Who'd a thunk it? Any way to get my hands on the book? I'm sure everyone and their mother has them checked out.

Yid

Eric Holdridge
Gaming God
Gaming God

#12 Post by Eric Holdridge » Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:24 pm

Yid:

My copy is no longer being read at the moment, so if you want to borrow it, just PM me and let me know.

Alternately, (especially if you can't wait, and I don't blame you) I think every chain bookstore has an end-cap full of Watchmen stuff including trades and hardcovers of the original mini and it is well worth the price. Some of the companion books look really nice, but they seem overpriced & I expect they will be heavily discounted by next x-mas, so I may bide my time & continue to check Amazon.

Cheers!

Skittlebrau

#13 Post by Skittlebrau » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:41 pm

Elric
Adventure Sage
Adventure Sage

#14 Post by Elric » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:31 pm

Yeah, I have to agree with the above. I really liked it. There were three guys that went with me, but they seemed to have liked it less than I did. However, I think it made a difference that they had not read the graphic novel as I did. I won't give away any spoilers, but I think the main dissapointment on their side was the ending. Most people expect "superhero" movies to have a set way of doing things, so how the ending came across was probably way off the map for what they were looking for.

Some things they cut out of the movie (like the pirate ship comic) I actually was happy they did... To be honest I skimmed over parts of the pirate comic book when I realized it really did not have a lot to do with the main plot of Watchmen. The other things that got "sped through" I didn't mind either, I expected that to happen.

Yes, they changed the ending from the original graphic novel, but I can see where the director was going when he said that "it would make more sense to the general public when it ends this way". It was decently thought out. 99% of the time I would be upset when a movie director changes something major when making a new movie after a book/previous movie, but in this case I was ok with it.

All in all, I thought it was good. The action scenes were great, and the acting was better than I would have expected. Especially considering that very few of the actors/actresses were what I would call "big names", they did well. I could have done without Dr. Manhattan flopping all over the place, but I guess they were just trying to be "true to form". :P
- Elric / Silaence

Skittlebrau

#15 Post by Skittlebrau » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:24 am

I actually LIKED the fact that they weren't all big name stars. It really let me get into their characters and enjoy it so much more. In fact, the one person who I DID know very well from other things (Carla Gugino who was Sally Jupiter / Silk Spectre I), actually threw me off more than anything, since I could see her in other roles more vividly in my mind, and it took away a little bit for me. And of course Billy Crudup, but since he was a glowing blue guy, and did a nice twist with his emotionless speech, he was hardly recognizable.

I have seen sooooooo many movies, and I have devoted so much of my brain to remembering them, that it causes me trouble when I try to get "into" a movie fully, since in my mind, i am always saying....That isn't Colonel Claus von Stauffenberg and Major-General Henning von Tresckow attempting to kill Hitler....that's TOM CRUISE and KENNETH BRANAGH attempting to kill Hitler....plus Eddie Izzard, Terence Stamp, & Bill Nighy were there...and they all had English accents, which I found VERY funny....

So in conclusion, I liked WATCHMEN a lot.

Elric
Adventure Sage
Adventure Sage

#16 Post by Elric » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:05 pm

Gee, I wonder which Carla Gugino role you were thinking of? :)

I actually had to convince one of the guys who saw Watchment with me that Carla Gugino was not the same actress that played Cameron on House. Sad sad day for Gugino fans. :wink:
- Elric / Silaence

Skittlebrau

#17 Post by Skittlebrau » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:53 am

Spy Kids.

Elric
Adventure Sage
Adventure Sage

#18 Post by Elric » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:46 am

Yeah, I mentioned "Skin City" to the guy, and he told me he didn't remember seeing that part. Lies. :---)
- Elric / Silaence

Captain Yid
Gaming God
Gaming God

#19 Post by Captain Yid » Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:38 pm

I almost have the book read. The movie is starting to make sense now.

Yid

Elric
Adventure Sage
Adventure Sage

#20 Post by Elric » Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:53 pm

Yes, reading the graphic novel will definitely add some background to the story.

Regarding the movie, another interesting point... A friend of mine went to go see Watchmen with her 17 year old son (which I warned her not to do before she did it, for obvious reasons). She actually said she was so disgusted with the movie that she walked out. Her son stayed to watch the whole thing of course. She listed a few minor things that bothered her, but there was one main reason she left. Can you guess?

Yep, the big blue dong was just too much for her to take. She said, "It wasn't just that it was there, it was just annoying because they made it flap around all the time." :lol:
- Elric / Silaence