Polyhedral Underground - Wisconsin Gaming Group

Wisconsin Gaming Group - Oshkosh - NE Wisconsin
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Windows Movie Maker
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 11:50 pm 
Gaming God
Gaming God

I'm posting this for a friend of mine who is having problems with this program. Have any of you used it? I don't have that problem because, well, I have a Mac. Now that I have that out of the way, here is the problem:

"I created a movie with Windows Movie Maker. When I go to publish it, it takes me to Windows DVD Maker where I can put in chapters, menu, etc. After I do that, I click burn DVD. A small window pops up and says 'encoding' with the percentage done. When the percentage gets to a certain spot (14% encoding last time) it stops and just sits there doing nothing. Nothing ever burns onto the DVD."

I know the process of burning the first copy takes a boat load of time and then everything goes quick after that, but my friend had their computer on all night and it still didn't do anything. I'm not sure if a screen saver or anything like that would affect it. What do you geniuses think the problem is? I trust your PC knowledge.

I just go where I'm told. Hell is a frequent location.
Yid

Post subject: Re: Windows Movie Maker
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 12:43 am 
Fierce Competitor
Fierce Competitor

What type of gamer are you?: Computer
So problem #1 is that Windows Movie Maker does not burn DVDs. When he goes to "publish" and selects "Save your movie to a DVD" what program does it bring up? I am assuming Windows DVD Maker? To help a little off the bat and without knowing anything else: don't do that. Save it to the computer first, desktop will suffice for the time being. Also, he should have the option of choosing what file format to use. Use .avi if possible as it's more universal/easier to work with.

Does this guy have Vista? Also, some good specifics to have is the model of his DVD player, some basic system specs (RAM, CPU, and video card should suffice) and make sure he has all his recent Windows and driver updates. What version is his WMM (hopefully 2.x) and confirm his burning program. Also, on a scale of 1 to 10, how would you rate his computer expertise? That might make a difference on my instructions. :/ (PLEASE make sure he actually is using a blank DVD and not a VCD, VCD is a max of 700 megs so most movies files won't even fit on it.)

Once he gets an .avi saved to his desktop, provided his DVD player doesn't suck monkey balls, burning it to a dvd isn't too hard but I would probably recommend a different burning program. I like Nero, Alcohol, and CloneDVD. Some other basic useful programs to have are Winamp, Divx and Gom. Actually, it might even be easier, depending on his mail server and his ability to zip files, to just email it to someone and have them burn it.

Most of the programs there are free or have free and/or trial versions. If he really needs a dvd writer I have a really nice spare I could borrow him for a week or so. Let me know though.

Post subject: Re: Windows Movie Maker
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 10:40 pm 
Gaming God
Gaming God

Thanks for the info. I'll pass it on to her. Now, I have XP reloaded, but now my computer just gives me my desk top picture with nothing on it. I don't even get my start menu. I have to Control Alt Delete and go to run... and browse what I need. Just like Firefox so I could type this. I use to have all this stuff on my desk top, but no clue how to get it there. However, I do have a bag a cement in the garage that has a label on it that reads: "For PC Use Only!" Any ideas?

I just go where I'm told. Hell is a frequent location.
Yid